1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

DIY "Line-x" coatings??

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by PlatinumLandCon, Feb 29, 2008.

1. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

My truck isn't in pristine shape right now, obviously because of its age. I want to coat the bed and body (bottom 8-10") with a durable truck bed coating. I've been quoted $850+tax for all that coating from Line-x but was wondering if there's something cheaper out there that will last me for a year (new truck in Spring '09).

Also, if anyone has pics of their coatings, POST 'EM UP!
  2. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a large enough air compressor their are a few company's that sell the coating to do it yourselfers. You will nee an undercoating gun and a knowlege of vehicle painting and surface prep. I thinI have seen them advertised on ebay or just do a google search for a diy kit.
  3. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

I was thinking more of a roll-on type product. I've seen "Herculiner" and it seems like a pretty decent product. Anyone have experience with this?

4LLAWNSINC LawnSite Member

I have seen herculiner done b4 and it is a lot of prep for something that looks like crap-even after normal use. I guess you get what you pay for. I would opt for something you spray on.
  5. flykelley

flykelley LawnSite Member

Do not buy Herculiner, the one time in my life I tried to save some money and I bought Herculiner instead of LineX. I will not make that mistake again. I also did alot of body work and painting so I know how to prep a truck for the bedliner. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND JUSY PAY FOR A SPRAY ON BEDLINER.

Good Luck Mike
  6. Omaha Lawnguy

Omaha Lawnguy LawnSite Member

Listen to flykelley,
    I've had other liners and there is always dirt, salt, mulch, grass, you name it, and not to mention rust under there. It's a real pain in the ars trying to power wash all of that stuff out and be sure you got it all. Just go with the spray on, you can't go wrong.
  7. Plant Buyer 83

Plant Buyer 83 LawnSite Member

When I bought my truck I decided to go with Line-X. I have had it since the end of March and have had no issues. Looks great, cleans easily and so far very durable. Here are some pictures a day or 2 after i got it done. Also if you are serious about doing it yourself here is a very helpful link that you should read. Remember prep is the most important part.

Arial After.jpg

Bed After 2.jpg

Bed After 3.jpg

Corner After.jpg

Side After.jpg
  8. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

Hey look on ebay their are a few diy bediner kits on their that are sray liners. I have talked to a guy who has used the rattle gaurd liner and he said if the truck is preped it is as good as any shop done liner. I am contiplating shooting my 72 powerwagon with it
  9. lopomon

lopomon LawnSite Member

you really cant go wrong with rhino lining. looks about the same as this "line-x", plus its very affordable
  10. luckydooley

luckydooley LawnSite Senior Member

I used the roll on Herculiner on my enclosed trailer floor back in January. It appears that it is going to be durable, but hasn't got much use yet to know. It looks like crap though. I do not think I would do it again.