DIY operator controled discharge chute

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Barrett Landscaping, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Barrett Landscaping

Barrett Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

who on here has made their own ocdc? looking to make one for my 48 scag walkbehind and 48 tiger cub. seems simple enough rather than spend $200 each :hammerhead::dizzy::dizzy:. Lets see some so i can get the creative juices flowing :weightlifter:

2. Mountain Peak

Mountain Peak LawnSite Member

I was wondering the same thing. I searched and there are a few threads on it. I was thinking of putting one on my 60 inch hustler and was balking at the 200+ price tag.

3. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

shouldnt be too herd, just a rectangular piece of hinged metal and a bar with a swivel

4. scagman52

scagman52 LawnSite Senior Member

Cost me $10.00

shoot blocker.jpg

5. Barrett Landscaping

scagman looks great! can you post a pic of the upper half as well? thanks

6. scagman52

Here ya go!

handle.jpg

7. Barrett Landscaping

so do you pull the lever towards you or push towards the front of the deck?

8. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

Looks good, and definitely the right price!

My situation is a little different, and I would appreciate any ideas any of you have.

Since I use a Swisher 60" pull behind mower offset to the left of my ztr, I have to trim with the right side of the ztr deck. I know the first thing most everybody will think is , "just offset the Swisher to the right side so you can trim with the left side of the deck". The problem with that is, your ztr discharge will be going out in front of the Swisher to add to the grass it's cutting. In thin grass this is ok, but not in tall or thick grass. So...I'm trying to come up with a simple way to use an ocdc that will stand at least vertical (when not in use) to allow for trimming with the right side of the ztr deck. You could obviously make one that would come past vertical and lay over toward the deck then just put a strap over it when in use, but I want to make something that looks more professional, and can be raised or lowered while mowing without getting off of the mower. I'm just trying to determine how to configure an operators "handle" that can be used from the seat, but will allow the chute to be raised to (at least) vertical when not in use, and hold the door closed when in use. Any ideas?
    Thanks, Stan

9. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

10. scagman52

I just push the handle to the right to close it. The hook is just to hold it in the open position. There are no springs. I used lock nuts and tightened them just enough to keep pressure so it doesn't flop around. Keep in mind that it is open 95% of the time.