DIY Where to buy

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by GTIMANiac, May 26, 2008.

1. GTIMANiac

GTIMANiac LawnSite Member
    from Phoenix

Before becoming an IT Professional I was an electrician. I did lots of landscape lighting back in Florida using mainly Techlight Metal Halide and HPS. I am currently redoing my backyard, I have already invested 10k into landscaping, trees, concrete border, irrigation etc.

I would like to highlight many of my new trees, the grado for the pool, etc. I am looking to do low voltage and wanting to spend no more than 1500 or so.

Is it possible to order pro quality goods myself, or will I have to go through the trouble of setting up a wholesale account somewhere?

Thanks
    -Scott

2. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

You would not get much pro-grade product for $1500 even with a wholesale account. Certainly not enough to do an entire backyard properly.... maybe a pathway, or a small deck.

Best to call a local lighting professional and have them do a design and specification for you.

3. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

If you walk into a Ewing or whatever your local irrigation supply place is, and you buy a 600 watt trans, 500 ft 10 guage, and 15-20 bullets from a reputable manufacturer, you're going to be over 1500, even at contractor wholesale prices. it sounds like you need closer to a 900 watt to do what you want. And that does not leave you money for connectors, bulbs, additional wire ( 500 ft 12 guage) and any tools you might need, such as good strippers, cutters and dmm. I'd set your budget closer to 2500 for materials, or hire a lighting contractor to do this for you for $4500-6000. good luck

4. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Boy material prices just seem to keep going higher and higher don't they. I need to recheck my priceing and adjust accordingly.

5. The Lighting Geek

The Lighting Geek LawnSite Senior Member

How long ago did you work as an electrician? You cannot get the materials you want for $1500.00. As dave said you need a bigger budget:) James suggestion is a good one: hire someone who specializes in landscape lighting to design and spec the job

6. GTIMANiac

GTIMANiac LawnSite Member
    from Phoenix

The last time I worked full-time as an electrician was '99. As far as I know ohms law has not changed and the NEC has not changed that much. Money just was not good enough and arthritis was killing my shoulders.

I think I will end up with 30 or so bullets, a couple of wells, and some floods to wall wash. In the area of the yard that is still xeriscape I am going to use HPS because I really like the glow of HPS on the quarter minus and cacti.

So my initial budget is now more than doubled almost tripled, much to the chagrin of the wife.