DIY'er sticky

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by steveparrott, Nov 25, 2006.

1. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

I'd like to suggest that we brainstorm a bit to come up with a sticky message to be put at the head of the forum message list. This sticky would be titled something like, "Do-It-Yourselfers Please Read this Message First."

(Of course, Noel and Sean will have the final say.)

Here's a stab at it, (feel free to add comments, changes, additions):

Dear Do-it-Yourselfer,

Thanks for visiting this professional Landscape Lighting Forum. Before you post a message, please understand that this forum is meant primarily for professional lighting installers, designers and specifiers. These professionals are dedicated to bettering themselves in their businesses and bettering the Professional Landscape Lighting Industry as a whole.

There is a world of difference between the products and methods available through your local hardware store and those used by professionals. In addition, lighting design is a fine art akin to fine art painting. Most of the professionals in this forum have undergone extensive training and honed their craft with years of experience.

While we understand and respect your well-intentioned wish to get pointers and guidance from these professionals, don't be surprised if the responses fall short of your expectations. Most of the forum members would much rather you employ their skills and talent to light your home rather than spend their valuable time to explain how you can do it yourself with the limited products and resources at your disposal.

Again, we do respect your desire to do it yourself and simply ask that you respect our desire to further the art of Landscape Lighting as done by the community of Lighting Professionals.

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Check out what we did in the irrigation forum as far as a newbie sticky.

3. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

I think I'd prefer a single posting that you can't add to. The irrigation one is a bit convoluted. Although I like the idea of finding a good link to direct homeowners to - maybe the homeowners site that Joe Masciotti built: http://www.sitelights.com .

4. niteliters

niteliters LawnSite Senior Member

I like what you have written, thank you for your consideration on this issue.

5. jepthng

jepthng LawnSite Member

sorry to all the guys that got there panties ruffled.

6. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree steve. While I like to help someone who wouldnt be a potential client out it gets old with everyone seeking a free design from someone with experience. Some even have the nerve to get all wound up when they dont hear what they wanna hear.

While I wanna help I do think that in some cases people should pony up for an hour of our time like a client would. I love to talk shop like so many of the pro's here do but where should we draw the line between advise and telling them it will be $60 for consultation (a bargain compared to a in person design)

7. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

Thanks guys, good thoughts, since I hear no objections, I'll send a PM to Sean to suggest we post the sticky.