1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do a few CC's make a difference ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bunton Guy, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Looking into buying a 30" hedge trimmer and I had a few choices my question is to dealers close by have two different brands the

Maruyama dealer wants $369.00 for his 30" it has 21.5 cc's
    Stihl dealer wants $369.00 for his 30" and it has 25.00 cc's
    does the 3.5 cc's really make a difference ? Will I be able to tell a lack there of with the Maruyama ? Both have good dealer service so thats not a question power is my only question its same price same bar cutting size just engine size.
  2. big james

big james Banned
    from texas

from 21.5 to 25 is a 7.1 % increase does that mean you will notice a 7% increase in power ,probably but who knows ? I would buy stihl based on name alone but I have never owned either brand......:confused:
  3. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Both brands are good. I know a couple good friend who own both brands. More cc's just means a larger and more powerful engine. I would go with the Stihl though because it has more cc's for the same price.
  4. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

stihl makes a homeowner brand hedgetrimmer. i bought it since the weight was considerably lighter than the commercial 30 inch. i believe mine is 30inch and has a higher cc then the commercial. the only differences are smaller gas tank and no rotating handle but the two machines are almost 3 lbs different in weight. for long hours of hedgetrimming i wanted to go light and the price was $269 i believe. quite a few lcos have them or they use tanaka and those are high power for about $300 but their weight is nicely balanced and they are easy on the rists. ive used both and the tanaka is a better machine but i have no tanaka dealers here anymore so i have the stihls.
  5. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

of your 2 choices, i would say the stihl over the maruyama. We have used many brands. stihl maruyama, little wonder, and echo. also had a crapsman at one point too- I prefer the echo simply because it is lightweight. After a few hours of trimming, the heavier models will beign to wear your arms out. Especially if you have to extend upwards or outwards for a long period of time.
  6. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah I was looking at the Echo's but I have heard from some people that they are a bit under powered. I will only be using this hedge trimmer for a half a season then from there on my workers will be using them.
  7. Martino

Martino LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

in outdoor power equipment is "cc's". You must understand that this stands for cubic centimeters.......a measurement of size, not power. There is not necessarily a direct correlation to size and power. If you take that same 25cc Stihl engine and compare the power output to the same size Red Max, Echo or Maryuma engines, you will see that it is easily outclassed. The popular chain store Ryobi trimmers have a nearly 31cc engine....does anyone think that it is more powerful than a 23cc Shindaiwa, for example?

In hedge trimmers, one should be more concerned with torque than RPM of the engine. Try to arrange a demo with your dealer to see which one suits your needs.

BTW, the Maryuma engine is considered in the "biz" to be the better quality commercial engine.
  8. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

When buying a hedge trimmer, the first thing I consider is which side the muffler is on. I have used Echo's with the exhaust on the left, and they will really gas you out.

The Stihl, Redmax, and Husqvarna have the muffler on the right side.
  9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I've never had a power issue with any of my 2 cycle equipment. Always kinda overpowered.:(

I have an ancient Craftsman early 80's era! hedge trimmer. Its only got a 21cc engine ( I think ) but I only give it about 1/4 throttle and thats often too fast! Maybe I'm not cutting the same particular shrub type as others here, but power has definately never been an issue with a hedge trimmer for me.
  10. olabob

olabob LawnSite Member
    from TX

I would go with Stihl under your options. But for hegde trimmers, i use the kawasaki's. They are real powerful... I little to heavy though, but not that big of a problem....