Do aerators for zero turns work well?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GreenHor7, Feb 6, 2008.

1. GreenHor7

GreenHor7 LawnSite Member

I was wondering what everyone thinks about zero turn aerators and which ones do you guys suggest, if any?
  2. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

Thus far, I've been using primarly an Aera-Vator, mounted on the front of my grasshopper... I love the thing, and so do the customers... on bare dirt, it'll reduce it to tilled soil.. a perfect seed bed, and on Turf, it does a great job too! It doesn't leave plugs, and believe it or not, I don't mark sprinkler heads, and hav only ever damaged one, after 3 years....

It gets in corners, handles hills better, and is much faster than any other unit I've used... of couse just the attachment is $4200. (new)
  3. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

i like my JRCO hooker fast makes money
  4. CharlotteOutdoorImpact

CharlotteOutdoorImpact LawnSite Senior Member

Can you tell me more about your JRCO hooker? How well does it really work.

I have a hard time believing it goes in deep enough with out weight pushing down on it. Can you make sharp turns with it?

5. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

I was just thinking about the JRCO hooker today as well. Can we get some more info from the guy(s) that have used them??
  6. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

the way the fingers are curled forward on a rotation scoop down and pitch the dirt out, it depends on the subsoil, hard clay it wont penetrate like w/ loam. The heads are very heavy and they float independantly. You can make decent turns i happen to overlap 50% so its like i aerate 2 times, i aerate the edges of fences and the perimeter of the house w/ a walk behind. I have alot of lawns 2-4 acres so you would be in a virtual hell if you had to use a ryan or a bluebird on that kind of acreage. I run it w/ a bobcat ZTR however if i owned walker mowers i would go w/ the plugger pto drive my buddy put it right thru the deck on his trailer. The walker w/ plugger is the cats ass.
  7. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

what about turfco zero turn aerators? those look pretty good from the cd i got from them. obviously they are going to make it look that way. anyone have opinions on those?
  8. Seacoast

Seacoast LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I bought a Turn Aer 6 last fall with the chariot. Definitely increased productivity. Trim out tight areas, then drop on the chariot and ride the rest. Well worth the $.
    I also have used the walker/perfaerator and that thing does kick a$$ although it beats the hell out of you on rocky lawns, needs tons of grease on the cams, and is prone to breaking due to the forces on the unit.