do all kohler engine use oil ?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by SPENCER HUNTER, Jul 10, 2010.

1. SPENCER HUNTER

SPENCER HUNTER LawnSite Member

MY FRIEND HAS HUSTLER THAT HAS THAT 19 HP KOHLER ENGINE IT IS BURNING OIL,,NOT LEAKING,,BUT BURNING HE HAS TO ADD SOME EVERY 2 WEEKS 4 TO 6 OZ. WORTH,,,DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO ABOUT THIS ISSUE ONE DEALER SAID THAT KOHLER ENGINE USE SOME OIL,,,:confused:

2. GlynnC

GlynnC LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Kohler 25hp that does not use oil--approx 750 hrs. A year ago, it was going through a quart ever couple hours--both head gaskests were blown--bad. Pulled heads, replaced gaskets, problem solved.

Before new head gaskets, it was also using gasoline like crazy also--all being blown out the exhaust.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

They do burn some, usually when first starting, has to do with self-adjusting valves,
    a quart of oil per season is not unusual and several ounces every two weeks sounds
    to be about within that specification.

Actually other engines can do it, too, not sure why but this is the reason why it's
    very important to always check the engine oil level.

If he's going through 4-6 ounces every two weeks that puts it at 3-4 months a quart...
    Might be a bit on the heavy side but if it sees a lot of use maybe not...
    I wouldn't worry about it until you're going through like, a pint to a quart every month or so.

Because it's just one of those things, engines can and do burn, others leak,
    with the price of a repair it's unfortunately usually cheaper to just add oil.

Sux but it's not entirely unusual at all.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010