do all you guys overseed?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DavisLawn, Dec 4, 2007.

1. DavisLawn

DavisLawn LawnSite Member

i dont or havent but someone asked me the other day about it.... just wanted to get some advice from some of you guys about it.... ie: what kind of seed to used, do you just spread it or do you need to aerate first? whats the best time to do it.... etc.... Thanks in advance

2. Earthworks Landscaping

Earthworks Landscaping LawnSite Member

The best time in my opinion to over-seed is in the fall. I would mow down to 1.5-1.75 inches then aerate then over-seed with a slit-seeder then spread more seed with a broadcast then fertilize and lime as necessary. I'm in Central Illinois and between September 1st- End of September is a good time to complete the services. As far as grass seed, just try to match it up the best that you can with the existing turf. Hope this helps...jon bohannen

3. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I just finished up overseeding 4 properties. I have two methods you can use. First cut the turf as low as you can. It has to at least be in the 1-1.75 inches range. Second I spread starter fert. Third you spread the seed. This is where you have a choice. You can use a slit seeder or you can spread it with a fertilizer spreader. If you have thick turf and it is unlikely the seed will get down to soil when using a spreader then use a slit seeder. Finally water at least once a day until the grass comes up, usually around 2 weeks.
    Now for some details. Use a perennial rye grass, it is more expensive but it looks better. If you use a slit seeder, then seed in two different directions otherwise the grass grows in rows just like corn. Also when using the slit seeder you need to set it for half the desired amount of seed since you will be going back over it a second time. For example I wanted to distribute 10 lbs of seed per 1000 sq feet. The first pass with the slit seeder was set at 5 lbs per 1000. The second pass was also at 5 lbs per 1000. The two passes added together gave me 10lbs per 1000 sq ft. Also have enough extra seed so you can go back later and reseed any thin spots especially if you seed with a spreader. Another thing to keep in mind. If you use a slit seeder you will also be pulling up thatch so you may want to make a pass over the yard with no seed just to get the thatch up. Be prepared to rake up and bag the thatch. The real key though is to water daily.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes always aerate.
    50 pounds per 1/4 acre, or 200 / acre.
    Specs of minimum 90% germination rate, maximum 0.1% weed.

5. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

didnt aerate this year, and seed came up just fine. used winter rye instead of perrenial rye this year...but o well, its doin fine, and still keeping me mowing weekly. ive found a way for it not to clump or stain the concrete. always try for perrenial rye. its much better grass. i also did mine in october.

6. DavisLawn

thanks for the replies guys... will this take care of most of the thin spots? alot of lawns here have thin spots.. i suppose due to the dry dry weather but not sure.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Due to water restrictions we can only water twice a week so I was wondering if the rye comes up faster when you use the slit seeder. I assume this device is like ole time weed drill that puts it into the soil? We had to delay our planting until almost November due to hot temperatures. In ole days we would plant water 3 times a day and seed up in 5 days....no more of that ever.

8. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

It doesnt seem to come up any quicker but you definately get better germination rates because all the seeds come in contact with the soil. When you just use a broadcast spreader to put out the seed you won't get as high of a germination rate. On another note I have never aerated prior to overseeding and have had good results.

9. DavisLawn

so you just broadcast it on the ground and water it in and thats it?

10. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Slit seeding works great! Try it if you want even results.