Do all you professionals just laugh......

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DaveVB, Mar 13, 2008.

1. DaveVB

DaveVB LawnSite Member

when a non-professional asks a question? 51 views to my question below and no responses? It is a simple question; is 10+ year old 18-24-12 fertilizer any good? Would it hurt to put it out on existing grass fields?
    I am not trained by any means, but I am titled as Grounds Manager at a private college in Kansas City. Mostly I cut the grass (45 acres)and keep things looking nice, but I came across this fertilizer in a back room here in the shop and wonder if it is any good. A response would be appreciated. Give me a yes/no and I will never invade this holy space again.

2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

I'll answer your thoughts and before you say *uck that SOB; I have a Masters Degree with over 35 years of experience! Now the answer is "We don't know" We as "Professionals" DO NOT USE 10 YEAR OLD FERTILIZER or have not been exposed to 10 year old fertilizer at any percentage.
    As a grounds keeper why don't you conduct a test yourself on something green and see for yourself.
    The fertilizer that we provide to our clients is fresh and less than a year old from the production company.
    That is about as professional as it can be stated.

3. ffemtmcd

ffemtmcd LawnSite Senior Member

Agreed - try it in a small area and see. I would say if it's not one big block of fert it might be o.k., but that's just a guess.

4. tlg

tlg LawnSite Senior Member

10 year old fert may have issues. Depending on where it was stored and the condition of the bags. Granular fert will absorb humidity. After 10 years I would guess that it has seen a whole lot of temperature and humidity levels that would effect it's use. Mainly clumping and granules that are breaking down. The product itself probably would not have a detrimental effect if used. However, it may be tough to physically apply it since it sat for so long. You really can't just toss it out. All though the fert is well past it's expected shelf life I would try and use it up. If you can't apply it you have your answer. Open a bag and see what the fertilizer looks like. Is it wet? Is it clumped up? Have the granules turned to powder or dust?

5. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I think if you have to ask "IS IT STILL GOOD I" dont think i would use it.(Thats my Opinion) But on anouther not i did use a weed & feed that was about 5-6 years old (on my own yard)and it killed the grass and made the weeds grow where i put it.. A week later i was like Damn what the F#$%^

6. I wouldn't think twice about using it, I would.

7. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

Actually,
    Everyone should love this site, whether you get your answers or not. I was kicked off a very similar site for asking a question that had to do with pricing. Compared to other sites, this is the absolute best. Luckily, it's in my industry. The other site was not in lawn care at all.

8. DaveVB

DaveVB LawnSite Member

I would never say that. Count me as frustrated at the time. I was hoping for a "general rule of thumb" or "experience says......" Which I did see above.
    Having hauled fertilizer in a semi, thereby being familiar with its characteristics, I was surprised at how loose it still is. Just like new really, but oooollllddddd. Thanks for all your replies.
    I almost never come over here from commercial mowing site cause I don't deal with fertilizing, but I know I can't just throw it away "legally", so you have helped decide what to do with it.

9. no_longer_lurker

no_longer_lurker LawnSite Member

open a bag...if the oder of ammonia doesn't knock you to the ground then I'd use it

10. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup, use it up. ..... The 18-24-12 is more like 8-10-6 after 10 years.