do any of you guys haul leafs/ mulch in a 6' bed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grass disaster, Jan 25, 2005.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i am wondering if any of you guys have had made side walls on your truck for this. i was almost thinking if doing this.

2. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I haven't, but have seen plenty who do. Look into one of those "load handler" systems, where you have a tarp on the bed that you pull off using a crank attached to the tailgate.

3. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

4. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

Are those load handlers any good? I stumbled across some on ebay and wondered if they were any good. Also with the side walls, How well do they hold up and take the weight? I guess it depends on how it's built. My chevy bed only has 2 (post?) holes on each side to support the walls.

5. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Right now I have a post and rail type of frame that I can put on the back of the truck. It works okay for firewood, but not for small debris. I'm considering something like a lightweight, tight weave, fencing material tacked on to the wood frame. But in all honesty I wish I knew for sure that bark mulch wouldn't blow through it...

6. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I loved my load handler! I bought mine for my 6.5 foot truck bed and it worked well. I also invested in the slick mat that goes on the floor under the drag tarp, though anything that's smooth and slick will work. if you have a rubber mat or spray in liner it won't drag on those, too much friction! When I bought my "work truck" with an 8 foot bed I used the load handler for that too. You just have to watch how much material gets in front of the wheel wells because the load all locks together and the stuff wedged in front of the wheel wells will keep you from being able to crank it out. I put mine through hell and I never was able to break it and they even have a "commercial" model that's heavier built. For grass and mulch it works great. Dirt and rock you can move some with it but not a whole lot... I kept mine after I got my dump bed, just in case I ever need it.

8. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I use the loadhandler and think its almost the greatest thing since sliced bread. What you might want to try is building a wooden barrier over the wheel wells from the tailgate to the back of the cab. I did this and now i never have to shovel anything out again. i put a total of 2 yards of mulch in it and was able to empty the truck in under 30 seconds. :waving:

9. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

I used some wood sidewalls to help increase capacity. As long as you don't have more than a half inch or so of space between each board you shouldn't have much of a problem losing stuff thru the cracks. I'll be adding sidewalls again soon, but emptying will be much easier this season. :cool:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=89833

10. scaglawnsnj

scaglawnsnj LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

:)
    Sure Ihaul leaves when i clean them..If customer calls for just bag clean up
    I'll tell them to shove it up there ass