Do any of you KNOCK on doors and talk to homeowners?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CrappyMower, Apr 24, 2007.

1. CrappyMower

CrappyMower LawnSite Member

Do any of you KNOCK on doors and TALK to homeowners? Sorry if I missed a previous thread on this. I searched and couldn't find anything exact.

It seems that many if not all of ya'll (I'm a redneck) use door hangers but do any of you actually knock on the door? ( like the kid down the street) If you use door hangers do you slap a quote for service on there or just say give me a call?

For many years I have gotten door hangers for everything under the sun but have never called anyone. Yet a few times someone has knocked and had an interesting product reasonably priced I have bought.

No door hanger or ad can have the passion about your business you have and I believe it may be better to get yelled/laughed at a few times to get a few more customers. This is also applying to an miniscule operation hoping to aggressively build a base.

The question:

What do ya'll think about knocking with a quote in hand from looking around the property and how has it worked in the past for those that did?

Thanks to all, please don't berate me too bad just because I'm a ...

CrappyMower

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I think it is a great idea. I haven't done it, but I'm a little shy. I would like to be able to knock on doors but I have to work up the nerve. I have heard from people on here that have done it and the results were good....so they say.

3. Mr Priceless

Mr Priceless LawnSite Senior Member

i knock on my customers' doors that have fairly high grass and have a 60% success rate of signing them on...

4. CALVISI

CALVISI LawnSite Member

I too have had some amount of success knocking on doors. If you're gonna walk to the door to stick something on it you might as well knock on it too. I try to focus on yards that need a little help and new construction.

5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

NO NO NO NO and NO.............

it can be against the law..... Check with the city your doing this in... Or going to...

I have one city that I service that I cant even put a flyer on anyone's door.

6. CALVISI

CALVISI LawnSite Member

Well Bohiaa...you may have a point there...

Solicitation Permits:
    Solicitation Permits for door-to-door sales are required if personal contact with the residents is to be made. Applications are accepted from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday for a flat fee of $50. Permits are valid for three months.

I was about to call you crazy then i googled it and found out you are correct. Who would have thunk it? I did it for a couple month last year and didn't have any problems. I would imagine if you didn't cause problems while you were out you wouldn't be bothered.

7. CALVISI

CALVISI LawnSite Member

$50 for three months is robbery, they should be cited for charging that much.

8. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

It works. When I sold Dish Network I went door to door and pulled off about 1 sale per 8 doors. It adds up fast.

9. Nathan Robinson

Nathan Robinson LawnSite Senior Member
    from 47712

thats the most effective way to obtain and get personal with the people and accounts!

10. CoreyD

CoreyD LawnSite Member

if theres is not a no traspassing sign or somthing like that.... then they cant do sh!t to you...... anyways.... do yall ever go into a small business that has tall grass and ask them?....