do any of your wives own the business?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by thes, Mar 23, 2006.

1. thes

thes LawnSite Member

I am trying to find out the pros & cons on my wife owning the business and me working for her, that way I could apply for part time unemployment in the winter. Has anyone else set up their business this way???
  2. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

one of our companies is in my mothers name. we do all out d.o.t. and state work through that company becuase we are a state certified w.b.e. its awesome we get so much work because of it..
  3. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

No but we have "toyed" with the idea. We looked at this mainly as it relates to advantages of minorities/women owning business's when seeking financing. we seem to be fast approaching a point in our young companies life in which we will have to make a decision. remain solo/small and try to be more efficient to boost the bottom line or seek financing to help facilitate growth an efficiency.
  4. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

We set ours up in my wifes name even thought she is a full time RN it is her money that started us so it is hers I am just the flunky but proud of it she is a great boss but I have the last word in our talks (YES DEAR) LOL :dancing:
  5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

No she just gets all the money
  6. Luvs2Play

Luvs2Play LawnSite Member

I'm not sure, but I think there is a tax benefit, I have heard something about women being a minority business owner. May or may not be true. It would be something to think about if it is.
    I like the arrangement the way it is here, now she is sleeping with the boss! She's sleeping now, won't know I said that.
  7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

This may come as a surprise but anyone thats married and lives in a community property state, there wife/husband automatically owns 1/2

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

My Wife Own's And,runs A Full Servce Monument Biz.
  9. B&D Lawn Care

B&D Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Mine own's this b/c I own and run another. It's just our way of making it easier at tax time. I have heard something about the whole minority owner thing but have yet to check on it.
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

that and everything else too btw :laugh: