do any one have there wifes help or work for you

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Harrington Landscape, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Harrington Landscape

Harrington Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Erie Pa

Hi I am just seeing how may of you other lawn company's have there wife work or partner with them. we have been working side by side for 4 years now and love it. We have had small disagreements the past but nothing like last year we hired 3 full time employees and it was bad. Now we took a step back and got rid of our west side route and all three employees and now we mow 65 places in 2.5 days our selves and the rest of the 3 days are for our construction and odd jobs we pick up. Just seeing how other company's do it. I would not have it any other way We love it.

2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I have a buddy that only services around 50 lawns, it's him and his wife, he doesnt take on any NEW accounts, and there happy as a lark.

Like you, he got larger and hired employees and it drove them CrAzY.
    so they downsized and now are loving life...

3. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

The issues/problems with my wife and I had nothing to do with my company.
    That said, she was a limiting factor towards the business growth.
    Now that she is no longer involved, and hopefully in one more month no longer my wife,
    both my business and I are much happier.
    Best year in terms of gross sales when she was around was $284K. In '07 I was nudging mid six's and '08 looks even better yet.

4. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

No, there has to be seperation between work and home for both of us.

5. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

my wife is a full time mother who happened to get a degree in accounting prior to 2 small kids (almost 2 and 4 months)

She handles the phones, the bills, the mail, and all of the accounting...

her plate looks fuller then mine

Nate

6. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I have plans for my wife to help me on Monday only since she works part time and that's one of her day off. It will be out quality time together. ;)

What I have often wondered is how legit this is since she's family. What about workman's comp etc.? I don't have workman's comp? I have no current plans to hire employees - ever. I did plan on having my son help me when he gets old enough.

7. Harrington Landscape

Harrington Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Erie Pa

we are co owners in my business.

8. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

we are all c-owners as far as the law is concerned..LOL - 50-50. Seriously, my wife is awesome. she handles all the bills and there are alot. Handles the checkbooks and there is alot. keeps me organized -etc... A HUGE HELP.:usflag:

9. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

My wife is involved in the business. She is involved with major decisions. She takes care of billing. She will help once in a while on project. Every once in a while she goes mowing with me.

I make the intentions clear... I try to make the instructions clear as well. If that is done it saves on the fights.

10. iamthelawnman

iamthelawnman LawnSite Member

my wife started working with me about nine months age and it has been very good for use. we love it and their always the chance of a quickie.. just kidding:dizzy: but yes we work about 11 hours in the summer for 6 days a week and would not change it for the world:hammerhead::drinkup: