Do commercial work before you get paid?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stevenf, Nov 10, 2009.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Just landed two commercial bids a little over a week ago. Each one also wanted a small landscape refresh done. I put in the bid that the first payment of 50% of the total, had to be paid prior to start date. The remainder would be paid upon completion. I didnt start on it yesterday because I never received the first payment. Today was the schedualed day to finish the project but im not sure if I should go ahead and do so without them abiding by my terms.
    Alot of the money is going toward material to get the job done. What would you do?

2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Call them and ask where the check for the deposit is at. Matter of fact, you should have called them the day before yesterday and asked them where it's at. You might loose the account because you didn't do the work when you said you would, regardless of getting money first.

3. LouisianaLawnboy

LouisianaLawnboy LawnSite Silver Member

Call them or swing by.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I stopped by on Friday and yesterday and they say there waiting on money
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

then you made a mistake. Right then you should have told them that you'll get started on the job as soon as they get the money to you.

6. LouisianaLawnboy

LouisianaLawnboy LawnSite Silver Member

Tell them so are you. Lol.

Depending on the size I would judt let them know you will do it as soon as they get the deposit.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Ugh....get that deposit fast.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

What does it say in your contract? Follow it to the letter. No contract, no work. Are these national companies or the podunk store on the corner?

9. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

No signed contract without a deposit = no work.
    Regardless of what the managers say.
    However, all of my estimates carry a payment clause in them so I NEVER start work without a signed contract and money.

10. BCL Services

BCL Services LawnSite Member

The contract is the key here. I have fronted plant material numerous times without a deposit on hand, but ONLY with a signed contract in hand. Of course this is usually with existing clients. With a brand new client I may be a little weary of it, but again the contract is the key. No contract......no work.