Do company shirts make a difference?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by leaflandscape, Nov 26, 2007.

1. leaflandscape

leaflandscape LawnSite Member

It seems to methere are only about half of the companies in my general area with proper company shirts, and we're one of those guys. Do you guys think it makes a difference if your guys wear shirts to a jobsite? For the record I like company shirts.

S5000020.jpg

2. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I think its very important, I try to enforce khaki pants also.

3. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

Shirts, hats, pants.....right down the line can show professionalism. We issue shirts, pants, belt, safety glasses, sweathshirt, jacket and hoodie.
    We have been told on numerous occasions that the "crew look" is what made us the first choice to call. Example below:

Pic 2.JPG

4. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

well if I had a crew no WAY I'd let my guys out with FLIP FLOPS ON!! I would agree that br549's pic looks like a pro...the original posters pi....ehh

5. SLC  LLC

SLC LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I have been trying to find a lightweight shirt exactly like that guy has on in the photo. Does anyone know where to find these at one the Internet for order? We go through Aramark for a lot of our work pants, but cannot seem to locate the shirts.

6. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

all the guys have more than enough t shirts and hoodies so theres no excuse not to wear one everyday to work

7. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L LawnSite Member

I think shirts, or more, ie pants, hoodies, ect., are a great idea. It really adds to a professional look. I'm a bit of a hypocrite though, I have yet to have any professionally made shirts done, but I do have a few I iron ons I made my self. I also have plenty with work related logos Lesco, Western, Atlas, ect .
    I believe the above mentioned photo is just a promo picture, hence the hockey sticks and player. But yes I would much rather see a pair of shoes than his toe jam, I also would have the guy on the end turn his hat around, it's all about professionalism.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Even as a solo I think it makes an impression, probably more so on commercial properties, especially the ones with high visibility.
    I don't particularly care for it from my point of view, but from a franchise owner's POV I can kinda see it (that would be the guys signing the contract), and it does look nice.
    That and it identifies these guys, you always know who they are.
    Last but not least, you providing the uniform is a relief to a point, the employee doesn't have to ruin his or her own clothes.

But I will also say I see few owners thinking of the crew's comfort, seems to me the owner just doesn't care about the crew seeing how he doesn't have to be out there. They just don't think, my attitude is they forget what it's like, sit in an air conditioned office all day and wonder what it's all about :laugh:

Specifically darker colors get VERY hot under the sun, you don't feel it right now but I see these guys out there in 90+ degree stuff and it just amazes me, makes me feel downright sorry for them.

That red is way too hot in the summer, but don't feel too bad, we got a guy here sends his crew out wearing a dark maroon.
    The light orange (even thou it's faded) would wear noticeably cooler.

Other notes:
    If you're going to do shirts you might as well establish a pants code as well.
    You don't have to provide them, you just have to specify what is acceptable.
    It would be nice if they all looked about the same.

9. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have personally worn the orange shirts for years and they are cool and comfy. I'll get a link to post where I get them but they are under $10. My personal reason for choosing orange was visibilty. If you notice the pants are dark green....as in the color of the grass stains you know you will get on them while trimming?? Make sense??
    When I found the green and orange hats I just couldn't resist..LOL!!!
    We buy American Flags at about $1 a patch and have them sewn on the sleeve and the company logo embroidered patch sewn on above the front pocket. We try to convey professionalism along with our love of the USA! I am located next to a military base where Generals are plentiful and they, along with many other military families appreciate proudly displaying the flag.

http://www.allseasonsuniforms.com/rc001.htm
    The above company has good prices and the Red Kapp shirts and pants are durable and inexpensive.

Just my take.....after 26 years at it.

Buddy

10. Dodge Truck

Dodge Truck LawnSite Member
    from Mass

Ok guys, I think it seems pretty obvious that the first pic is not that of anything more than the shirts, I would guess that they are in a hockey league and wore their shirts for the games...i really don't think anyone would let an employee mow in flip flops...it was probably the only pic he had to demonstrate his SHIRTS. relax

I do like the other guys stuff too looks sharp