1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do customers ever try to hustle you?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Ransomes, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Ransomes

Ransomes LawnSite Member

Got a call this morning from a guy that tells me hes interested in getting his lawn mowed bi-weekly, he tells me im the third person hes contacted.

I asked him what they had quoted him and he told me number one was 20 number two was 25, so i told him that i would swing by his home and look at it, but i really think that the number 1 guy that charges 20 bucks is going to be hard to beat for mowing trimming and blowing. So i showed up and i dont think i would be able to do it for anything less than 30 dollars, this looks like a 35 dollar job to me especially bi-weekly,he told me that he received two other flyers and i know thats B.S because i would have received them also living on the same street and same sub division. im going to call this guy and tell him to call the 20 dollar guy before he changes his mind, which i know this person doesnt even exist, Has any of you ever had a customer try to lie to you to get you to mow their lawn for 15 dollars cheaper
  2. Ransomes

Ransomes LawnSite Member

here are the pics of his yard , doesnt do much justice but believe me i have 30 dollar accounts that take 20 minutes to do this will take me at least 1 hr with my 21 inch honda, this is not a profitable account ....right?

back 3.jpg

3. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

25 is the lowest i would touch that for, and he wouldnt get any cleanup for that price, just a mow and trim. Tell him 20 is a great deal, but to remember when the 7 year old neighbor kid mowing his lawn cuts his leg off he is responsible
  4. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

1st off thats the oldest trick in the book. Thats atleast a 35$ lawn at min. more like 40$. Do what you need to do but no way I would do it for 25$
  5. Ransomes

Ransomes LawnSite Member

i just told him that i couldnt even touch the 25 dollar guy even if i wanted to , but it turned out that now all of a sudden his son is going to have additional chores and is going to get him a lawnmower to do the back, so now he only wants his front cut for 25 not bad huh???? what ever happend to the 20 dollar guy that would do the whole thing ?
  6. LALawnboy

LALawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

i have to agree with him ^. i wouldn't do that for less than $40 minimum, especially since it's a corner lot. and as far as just doing his front yard, charge him $30 for the front if you really want to do it.
  7. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

think about this statement carefully - penny pinchers/cheapskates almost ALWAYS turn out to be complete pitas. i usually add $10 to my estimate before blurting out a price, and if they want to play the bargin hunter game, i'll knock off $5, but that's it. and make darn sure there is a clear understanding of what will be done for that price if you don't have a contract. if they start requesting addl services for same price, replace them.
  8. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

D*mn, I thought my area was cheap! I would not touch it for less than 45. Does he want the walk edged or just weedeated? That makes it go even higher. About the time I think I have the cheapest area I see post like this and realize it could be worse. I did a yard this morning about that size (lot more weedeating) and charged 60 for it. Also when they start that haggling crap that should throw up a big red flag, this guy will be a pita! Ive done this long enough to spot them quickly. Let him get the 20 guy and save yourself the nightmare.
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It is amazing where I live in a large city how well word of mouth works, they won't even try that one on me no more.
    But they used to do it all the time, and every once in a while I still get that pleasure...

It's one thing if they're uninformed, like they flat out didn't realize it would cost $35 and they were thinking 10 or 20 because they just don't know... I'm cool with that because there's times I bring my car to the mechanic and I'm thinking a few hundred and they tell me it's a couple thou LOL!

But what I can't stand is someone lying or in some other slick kind of way trying to get something for nothing, like by telling me they got someone else's offer for a real low amount (when they really didn't)...

Seriously, like say if you found a stereo at 50 percent off, would you snap it up before anyone else does or are you going to run around for several days to see if you can beat the deal? Think about it... It's the same thing with Lco's, if one of them is giving away great deals, customers would jump on that before his schedule fills up and then he can't take no more jobs on, see...

So what you got to do is call those people on their bluff, there are several ways to do it:
    First off, I really don't want no job from anybody who's trying to get smart with me, but if I need the work then just bid it at the regular price and then stand there and don't say another word. No matter what they say next, don't answer unless they say NO (in which case you say ok, turn around and leave). A few will finally, reluctantly say ok... It's still iffy because you can't be sure they'll pay, but if you need the work it's worth a shot.

The thing I like to do is quote these people double whatever price I was just thinking, so if it's $35 you need to quote this smart fellow $70 and then when his jaw drops, take the opportunity to turn around and leave while he's still speechless (yeah don't wait around, leave now while you got the chance lol).
  10. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

RUN,RUN,RUN, this guy is going to be impossible to work with major PITA.