1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

do customers value our time?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, May 6, 2011.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i've had a customer for years now. always cut on thursday, every thursday. i pull in thursday like clockwork to cut the grass and they are having their driveway concreted. i'm like wtf? do customers really think so little of our time that they dont even bother to atleast notify us that something is going on? they will get a bill for today and they will pay it no problem but it just bugs me. anyone else have this happen?
  2. LawnGuy35

LawnGuy35 LawnSite Member

I did a spring cleanup two weeks ago for an older lady who is a realtor (got rid of all leaves and twigs, raked and mowed her lawn, trimmed bushes, and did edging).

I got there before she left for work, which was around 9:00. I estimated the job taking 4 hours (I don't put my hourly rate in the estimate...I just figure up how long I think it'll take and do the math).

A little before 1:00, she came home for lunch as I was finishing with the bushes and getting ready to mow and edge. She walked up to me and said how great her property looked, and then asked if I underestimated it a bit (not sure how she came to that conclusion...I'm definitely not a lowballer, but I'm nowhere near the most expensive lawn company in the city either). I chuckled and said, "sometimes we do that sort of thing, but the estimate I gave you stands."

She then asked how much longer I'd be. I said maybe an hour or 90 minutes tops, to which she responded, "this is hard work and I'm going to pay you for it. How much will it be?"

At first I refused, but she again insisted on paying me extra, so I added my rate for 90 minutes of work to the estimate and she wrote me a check on the spot.

After finishing up, I left thinking, "wow, somebody gets it...there are people out there who actually appreciate my hard work."
  3. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

some appreciate it and will go the extra mile to pay you extra and others will call you anytime of the day and expect you to drop everything and go to their house lol
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Some look me right in the eyes and tell me a straight-faced lie.
  5. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Your time valued - whatever - it is of value to you and you only my friend.

In regards to concrete driveway - why couldn't you mow?
  6. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i've cut the grass the same way for 7+ years. down and back up. you wanna explain the grass clippings on the fresh concrete? :waving:
  7. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Clippings in crete you bagging or not. Also why you mow sameway for seven years. Whatever I guess. No backyard to mow or side yards. Need a pictures.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

LMAO mowing the same way for 7 years. Sounds like you wasted your own time by showing up and not mowing.
  9. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you scalping yet as you ride through the ruts?
  10. rain man

rain man LawnSite Silver Member

Customers (people) are like playing baseball. Even if a hitter consistantly goes to right field, you never know when one will come off the bat down the first base line. Any of them can get into the loco weed at any time...so play them that way.