do dealers give deals anymore ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HHlandscaping, Jun 14, 2011.

1. HHlandscaping

HHlandscaping LawnSite Member

So Last week I buy a climbing saw $330 from one dealer and a extended hedge

trimmer from another dealer $425 and the only reason I bought from another

was because I was on a job which was close to it and needed a second

trimmer. so on thursday my older blower started acting up ebz8001 4yrs old ..I

said its time to bite the bullet and buy one . I called both dealers and said her I

bought blank from you earlier in the week. how much for a new back pack

cash? and they both said the list price . when I first started a dealer used to

throw me a deal on a couple pieces. . what do you guys think ?

2. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Dealers don't make much on handheld equipment, the profit margins are minimal...usually around 15%. Most dealers won't budge on the list prices of their handhelds unless you buy multiple at the same time or in conjunction with larger equipment.

How do you feel as a business owner when a customer baulks at the price you quote them for mowing? Even if that customer accepts your price, you probably aren't going to go out of your way to make them happy if they have a problem. Now if a customer happily accepts your price, you will probably do a little more to make sure that they are WELL taken care of each and every week. So when you walk into your dealer to buy a piece of equipment and start trying to beat them down on their price or continue to ask if they can do any better because you baught XXXXX from them, they probably aren't going to be as happy to help you when the time comes that you need service. Where as the guy who just pays their price and doesn't try to make them give him a better price, the dealer will probably be more much more happy to help him out.

Take this for example...I have bought 2 fully loaded commercial mowers, a backpack leaf blower, a hedge trimmer, multiple kombi attachments, a power washer and all of my supplies (oil, blades, filters, etc) from my John Deere dealer, never once did I try to get them to come down on their price. Just the other week I had a sidewall on my tire blow, so I was out my main mower. Called my dealer who ordered a new tire for me. I brought in the rim and my dealer puts on the new tire while I wait. I asked the service manager how much I owed him (tire was $95 and install was $20), I was thinking about $120 or so, but he proceeds to tell me that he is going to warranty the repair for me so I don't have to pay for it out of pocket.

I find that if I don't complain about price or every little thing, my dealer is much more apt to help me out when I need it. Its the same way with my own business.

3. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

My dealer always hooks me up, I bought a new set of hedge trimmers today that were listed for $519.00 before taxes, he gave them to us for $478.00 before taxes.

4. RTR Landscaping

RTR Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think the dealers have a lot of room to discount price. Mowerbrad is right, I'll pay higher prices to get excellent service from my dealer. They are no different from us and they need to make a decent profit to stay in business.

5. epm

epm LawnSite Member

I have also bought over $20k in equipment in the last three months. I on the other hand only payed about $15 for all of it between manufacturer rebates and dealer hook ups. If your a commercial company that spends "x" amount a year at ONE shop, you should be taken care of.... price and service.
    I've blown two tires this year, and messed up a blade. None of which i've seen a bill for.

6. jfoxtrot9

jfoxtrot9 LawnSite Senior Member

Well said.

7. johnny_boy02

johnny_boy02 LawnSite Member

Depends on who helps me and what I am buying. If I need a few small items like glasses, ear plugs, extra blades, etc they will normally toss some stuff in free.

More importantly for me is when something needs work I get moved to the front of the line.

8. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a JD Dealer that you cant beat and he gives anyone I send to him the same deal. Always 20-21% off handhelds. Just wish they handled another brand of mower and I would give him all my business.

9. MOHUSTLER

MOHUSTLER LawnSite Bronze Member

The 2 things I see wrong with what happend is

#1 there is little markup in handheld equip. If we give you 20$ off we broke even.

#2 you called over the phone. Unless I know the guy well, I allways price list over the phone because hes probably sitting in anohter dealers parking lot waiting to jew that guy down. We have that happen A LOT!

10. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I went to 4 dealers last year. Gave them my card and a list of equipment I needed. I didnt have time to wait. Told them to get me a price and call. The JD dealer called me the next day with the price on each piece. Bought a 131 pole saw, a 361 chain saw, BG 86, BG 86 Vac, Br 600 mag, 110 Kombie with hedge, tiller,extenison, edger and trimmer, 2 FS100RX trimmers. The day I went all dealers were pretty busy and I told them I was just pricing not buying. None of the others ever called me.