do dealers negotiate

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BRAD2723, Apr 5, 2004.

1. BRAD2723

BRAD2723 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Do dealers negotiate on price of new equipment, like exmark, toro, scag.
  2. Border Guy

Border Guy LawnSite Member
    from NC

You have to remember that dealers are selling to you to make money too. It's always good to ask for the best deal, but be an educated consumer. If you know what "promo price" is, that's usually what they need to sell at to continue to survive and provide "after the sale service". One suggestion would be to ask if they have any left over units from the previous model year. They may be paying interest on it or need to make room for new models. They may be willing to reduce the price to get it out the door.
  3. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

yes, you can easily talk them down quite a bit. even if you don't do it well, keep in mind that they want to sell it to you. i've said it before, i'll say it again, demo the mower, talk him down as much as you can, think about it for a few moments, say 'ahhh, that's still too much.' and walk out. nine times out of ten, or maybe 7 or eight, he will follow you out into the parking lot, or call you that night at home with a better deal. if he doesn't and you want to take it at the price he was offering, there's absolutely no reason why you can't go back in the next day.
  4. BrianK10

BrianK10 LawnSite Senior Member
    from usa

Walk in with a written price from one dealer to another, and you'll see how the price changes.

5. sproutlscape

sproutlscape LawnSite Member

It works. Just saved $400 on my new Zturn & a free set a blades.