Do decks dive with flex forks?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by rob7233, Apr 14, 2006.

1. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

I have read so many favorable comment on the new flex forks but a mechanic for another manufacture says that in school everyone commented on how they would cause the front of the mower deck to dive down and NOT give a smooth quality cut.

In theory, I can see this happening over a large dip or something but how did the real world testing/results address this issue ?? Also, How has the quality of cut changed with this new design? Thanks

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

He does not have experience with them.
    There are many people here on LS that will give you a report on them.
    They are absolutely the best accessory you can put on a mower.

Pj

3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I assume you are talking about the XR-7 deck design.
    We tested this deck design and refined it over almost 3 years, and we tested in every part of the country and in every type of condition.
    It is the absolute best cutting deck we have ever put on a mower, and likely any other mfg (but I am a bit biased there...lol...lol...)
    Have your dealer demo one to you, you will see what I am talking about.

4. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Some of the time I think this world is stuck on stupid, how is it possible for a mechanical school to tell its students about a flaw in something they have absolutely no knowledge in. I was the first one in my area to have the flex forks on the new 66" XR-7 Hustler and I can tell you from knowledge and experience (not how I would like for people to think because my competition is so far ahead of my product) that this is one of this best features ever added to a mower. I picked up a set for a friend yesterday to install on his 2005 27/60 and he told me last night he could tell a tremendous difference in ride and cut of the mower. I cut 15 acres a week of my personal property and I promise you there is absolutely no comparison in the way this mower cuts and rides next to the 2005 27/60 I had previously. What I am telling you is coming from experience with the flex forks not from what someone else has told me or thinks, and believe me experience is the best teacher for anything you do because opinions are no good from anyone who has not had experience with anything they are trying to comment on.

5. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

now, let's think about this for a moment. have you ever heard of one competitor putting another down???????? nah, i didn't think so!!!!!!!!!!!
    one thing i will say about the Hustler forum is that we generally stick to singing the praises of our machines. we don't have time to harp on what the other guys are, or aren't doing.
    keep up the GREAT work Hustler.

6. lazer9284

lazer9284 LawnSite Member
    from florida

I have purchased these flex forks and used them for about 2 weeks, the guy in the mechanic class is right. if you stop abruptly the front of the deck WILL leave "crop circles" where the blades or deck goes into the turf.
    I thought it was something i did wrong with installation but went back to my dealer(commercial lawn) they said it was correct.... used for a couple more days and returned them. It can make a mess if you are not smooth driver(some of the help can be ruff).That was my experience... yours may be different.
    :

7. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Check the air pressure in the tires mine came with 15 lbs. in them I dropped every tire to 10 lbs. I promise you your help cannot run a mower any harder than I do and I mow in every condition there is on my farm and have never had anything but perfect results with this mower. You are the first one I have heard complain about this problem and there is no way to know how many sets are being run now but it is probably in the thousands. Lets see if anyone else is noticing any problems all I have heard is praises.

8. Nes-Tech

Nes-Tech LawnSite Member

I have a commercial cutter who tried them for the first time this week. He called me the first day.... He purposely left me hanging for a minute to make me sweat...LOL. Anyway he agrees that they are great and well worth the money. It makes a huge improvement in ride quality and in the back at day's end!

9. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

Are you all running the flex forks with the standard pneumatic tires ?? What difference would you have or expect with the Semi-pneumatic (NO-Flat)tires that Hustler offers??

10. lazer9284

lazer9284 LawnSite Member
    from florida

Ther is no doubt the ride improves.... but if it can leave marks in the turf on turns or abrupt stops... i dont care how smooth the ride is, I will not loose account because of it.
    The mower cuts good as it comes stock, and thats how mine is. by the way at 10psi in the fronts if you curb hop you will blow the bead on the tire at some point during the day. I keep mine at 15psi
    and on my exmarks they all have semi pneumatic on them.
    Also i bought a 60inch exmark with the triton deck in feb, but grass hasnt grown much, so havent been in heavy stuff yet, any one using one now?
    My dealer (commercial lawn) really pushed me in that direction because i already have some exmark and he says it is a lot better than the old exmark deck. feedback please.