Do doubles REALLY work?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by casey, Sep 14, 2001.

?

pick the best application for using double blades.

1. side-discharge thick wet turf

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  2. side-discharge thick dry turf

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  3. side-discharge leaves

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  4. mulch leaves

9 vote(s)
    23.1%
  5. mulch thick turf

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  6. all of the above

18 vote(s)
    46.2%
  1. casey

casey Guest

Put doubles on a Toro SFS deck WB in the spring (med.&high lift)- produced MORE clumping when turf was wet & or excessively long than singles.

Put doubles on an Exmark WB last week for leaves (mulchers&gators)- blowout is so excessive we're chasing leaves around the turf. Had to triple cut a light coating to catch them all.

DO THEY WORK & IF SO HOW?

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

they didn't work for me.

the ole lesco just didn't have the horses (14) to pull the high lifts and a set of gators.

one reason is that we are on septic tanks here. two inches growth on the lawn, 8 inches over the drain field. the ole 14 lesco couldn't hack it. literally.

but with the single high lifts it'll throw clippings up to 20 feet.

GEO

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I tried the doubles in the spring with good results except for 2 things which keep me from using them.

We have a lot of gravel driveways here and the doubles just created too much lift. It was constantly picking up rocks and knicking the heck out of the blades. Also I found that they actually threw the grass too far. I cut a lot of 1/4 acre lots with a lot of things in them like houses and beds and I found it a pain to have to make 3 passes cutting away from an object just to keep clipping out of beds and such.

They do work great for leaves though when used with a blockoff plate or a mulching kit. Blowout was a problem at first until I fashioned a anti-blowout baffle that reduces blowout about 95% or so.

4. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

I tried doubles last year on my Toro 44" SFS. I did not like them.

I tried them again this year back in June. I found that either high lift or straight blades on the bottom and gators on top work the best for me. I did have a bad problem with blow out until I put an additional metal plate under the front edge of my deck and now every thing goes out the discharge shut. I also noticed that clippings were going everywhere. I put my discharge shoot back on and fixed it so I could raise and lower it when needed. If I am in thick grass I leave it up unless I am around beds.

I have mowed thick wet grass, thick dry grass and side discharged leaves. This works well for all of the above. When doing leaves I mow them all in toward the middle of the yard. I then double cut the few rows of leaves left blowing them out.

I have noticed that if I have build up of grass under the front side of my deck it does not discharges as well. I use a long spade shovel and clean it after every yard especially if it is wet.

If you are going to run doubles I would suggest you try different configurations until you find what works best for you and your machine. My configuration may not work for you if you have a different mower.

Sorry to be so long winded but I wanted to help as much as possible.

good luck with doubles

5. MRPLOW

MRPLOW LawnSite Member

Tried doubles on 52 inch 16hp Wright Stander. The 16hp wasn't enough to run them without blade slowdown. Also on small yards the grass was hard to keep out of beds. I found an awesome compromise which those without enough power or real small lawns should try. I put the doubles on only the last blade at the discharge it doesn't require nearly as much power and still made a very noticeable difference and it also keeps the grass in my normal 2 swath length away from beds. I tried many different ways and this worked best for me. The difference is huge.

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

On my Lazer, I get enough frontal blowout with singles, add doubles, and your feet are burried in a 6" pile of grass and leaves. This is one area where a Dixie Chopper is superior. The floor pan of the DC sticks out further and higher blocking all blowout from landing on your lap. Also on the DC, you can remove the spacer and not have the blades lower than your baffles. On the Lazer, the bottom blade will stick slightly below the deck skirt, loosing all suction and creating blowout.

I am going to go with the Ultra-Vac this year for leaves, so doubles will not be necessary.

7. Turfer

Turfer LawnSite Member

I put doubles on my 52", 23 kaw. gd chariot last week. I think the striping is much better with the doubles and the discharge is so much smaller, you do not need to double cut. I put gators on top and high lifts on the bottom. There is tons of blowout. I also noticed I was having the same problem with the cut as I was having with gators - missed blades. I have been double cutting with the doubles to eliminate this but I continue to use them because the cut looks great.

8. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

We tried the doubles on our GD chariot 61" 25 kohler in hte spring and they just put too much strain on the motor. I was using high lifts and gators and have yet to try any other combos but i didnt much like all the drag and in heavy grass it bogged it down some and i like it to scream at full r's for the best cut. It did excellent with dispersal and it had much blowout. It does however stripe better so i may try again one day with maybe gators over gators or standards and gators.

9. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Doubles on my 60" Lazer make it stripe better and gives a better cut in dry to semi-wet. There is definately more blowout in the front also though. It definately chops up the grass more finely. When it becomes extremely wet the discharge isn't as even or widespread as a single is. So the finer clippings vs. the uneven discharge is a trade-off. I have the 26 efi motor so it has enough power. You can definately tell their there, but it isn't too bad. For the most part, I have doubles on most of the time.

10. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

Tried them, but they raise too much dust and sand. I really haven't run into a situation [other than grinding up leaves] that I need doubles on.