Do enclosed trailers get better mpg than open?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Bulldog26, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Bulldog26

Bulldog26 LawnSite Member

I"m about to buy a new open trail with the thought I would get better mile per gallon with that rather than the enclosed. I thought the added weight and size would cost me more in gas than the open. I mow part time, I'm a school teaher and I drive 30 mile each way. I haul my equipment to school and all my lawns are on my way home. Based on mpg what trailer would be best to purchase? Thanks for any and all help on this.
    bt

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

open will yeild better mileage, the enclosed will offer more security + rain protection for your equipment however.

3. Bulldog26

I read another post that the enclose will get better mpg. The back gates of the opens are a heavy drag on the trailer, while the design of the enclosed makes up for the weight/size.

4. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

In your case I would suggest the enclosed trailer for (as BSDeality mentioned) security. Having a trailer loaded down with equipment sitting in a school parking lot isn't a good idea.

5. Bulldog26

I do understand that and I would be happy to have an enclose trailer, but the miles I run gas prices as they are I really feel I have to go with the equipment that will cost me less. My school is located in the country issolated from traffic and there are camras all over the parking lot and I park in a location away from any parent traffic. Security isn't a problem, but it would be nice for weater and tool storage.

6. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Enclosed is the only way,mulching you will need a open trailer.

7. Bulldog26

If I go with the enclose how dose it haul. Driving that much, on country roads, is thier a big difference in hauling?

8. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Bulldog, I'm glad you feel everything will be safe, but don't disillusion yourself. Theives have no boundries. And if you think the cameras will make a difference, or that nobody will ever see your equipment because of the location you park then you're fooling yourself. Keep in mind that a lot of LS members have reported equipment being stolen from their garage, or even taken off their trailer while they're working on a yard. Security is always an issue.

9. Bulldog26

Good Point! But a thief is a thief and if he wants it bad enough he is going to get it enclosed or not it's just another lock they will cut. I understand anything you can do to make it hard helps. But the cost of gas is an issue for ever LS member as well.

10. Bulldog26

Let me add this, when comparing the open vs. the enclosed, I want to know and open trailer with the rear drop gate vs. and enclosed. Thanks
    bt