Do eXmark's Triton Decks Really Run Cleaner

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Hushko, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Hushko

Hushko LawnSite Member

Hello Folks,

I've been reading the eXmark forum for the last few years and have read many reviews from people using the new Triton decks - both good and bad. I live in northeastern Ohio. I've got an '07 XS on order with an updated 66" Triton and a 35HP Briggs and am hoping for equal or better performance than I've experienced with my 60" Ultracuts on my Z's. While the Ultracuts have always left a fantastic cut, I find that no matter what type of grass, wet or dry, high or low, that there's always a ton of compacted clippings underneath on the spindles and baffles - enough to fill a 5 gallon bucket. I keep reading that the Triton decks just don't collect the grass underneath like the Ultracuts, even when mowing wet, tacky grass. I'd like hear from Triton owners out there to see if this is consitently the case or simply a phenomenon experienced by few. It sure would be nice to not have to do so much scraping.

Thanks in advance for any input!

2. Muttonpower

Muttonpower Inactive

Sir, The new Tritons do not harbor grass underneath as you say. They do have heavier spindels. However, I dont believe anything cuts like an ultracut.

Javan

A Salesman at Mutton Power

3. Hushko

Hushko LawnSite Member

Thanks for the response, Javan. I've been reading that the '07 Tritons with the factory updates are performing rather well in comparison to th '06 Triton debacle. I agree that the Ultracuts do leave a fantastic cut. It would be nice to get the fantastic cut without retaining so much cut grass on the underside of the deck. There's not much of a response to this thread - I was hoping to get more opinions on the subject. Regards!

4. FlyingZ06

FlyingZ06 LawnSite Member
    from IN

No problems here with my Trition 66" deck. Works GREAT!

5. treemonkey

treemonkey LawnSite Member

I'm operating a new HP 56 for grounds maintenance at my workplace this year. It only has about 40 hours on it, but it has gone through one cycle of spring lush grass, some damp grass, and now the summer dry grass.

I peek under the deck weekly to check the blade condition. I never wash under the deck with water. I have never had any heavy clumping of grass under this deck. The vertical side baffles remain almost spotless. There is just a very tiny amount of buildup in a couple of places on the bottom side of the deck top. Only twice, I have removed maybe two fist size hardened clumps under the deck and this was with just my hand - no scraping necessary.

I only have our old John Deere F725 front mower for comparison - it's deck required weekly cleaning.

So far, I am very pleased with how clean the deck stays. I have also been very impressed with the cut quality in our conditions.

My only gripe. I maintain the grass on the long side, 3.5 inches +/-. To do this, I am mowing with the mower in the highest, transport position. I am going to ask if maybe adjustments are possible to make the actual cutting height more in line with the deck adjustment lever numbers.

6. Hushko

Hushko LawnSite Member

Thanks for the response! So far, three good reports. I'm expecting my new '07 Exmark XS w/ a 66" Triton to be delivered within the next week or so. I've owned two 60" Z's and a 60" FrontRunner, all with the Ultracut decks. The cut with this deck has been great, but I spend a 1/2 hour after each mow just to jack up the mower and to scrape a 5 gallon bucket worth of buildup from the underside. All of my Ultracuts have been this way.

7. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I just bought an Exmark 66 with 30 Kohler. It was a new 2006 with all updates on the deck as well as the engine. It is my first rider. I ve been using a Toro 44 walk behind. I demoed a Triton 60 before purchasing the Triton 66. I can see no huge difference in the two other than more deck to trim with on the left and of course it covers more ground. The deck rarely scalps. Our grass conditions are extremely dry and so cloumps and clogs are not an issue. I havent looked beneath the deck in the 10 hours Ive ran it. The cut is fantastic and that is why I bought an Exmark with a Triton. You will love your new mower. Let me know ,if you would , by message or thread because I would like to know what you think. You cant buy a better mower than Exmark if you want a fantastic cut.

8. FlyingZ06

FlyingZ06 LawnSite Member
    from IN

why do the moderators have to view the posts first in this section. i posted on sat and still not up!

9. Hushko

Hushko LawnSite Member

Delphied: Thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear yet another positive report regarding the Triton. I'll be sure to post an update once my machine is delivered and I get a chance to put some hours on it. Off the subject, I couldn't help but notice your username and location. I worked for Delphi for nearly 20 years until the overly-corrupt management sent our jobs to China for $1/Hr slave-labor. Just curious. Regards!

10. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I put in 30.5 but started in GM at A.C. Spark Plug in Flint Mi. I never asked for or signed for Delphi. We knew what was up when they spun us off. Gm kept all the trademarks and patents. After that GM abused the hell out of Delphi. It backfired on them and the UAW has done a great job of protecting the workers as best they could. I retired 5 years before I wanted to and started mowing this year. I was Delphied but I will say it feels good to be out. Im interested in your story too.