Do Golf Course Workers Make Enough Money to Survive?

Discussion in 'Superintendent Forums' started by LarryAylward, Jan 14, 2014.

1. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Don't know if they will let Obama play Shoal Creek,,,,,,,,,,,just kidding Charles

2. LawnsharkMB

LawnsharkMB LawnSite Senior Member

Totally different market here. I think our course is charging around $35 right now. In the peak season we get around $60 a round.

You must be talking private courses. Whole different ball game than the daily fee courses here in Myrtle Beach.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Absolutely right. I play every weekend and every weekend I wonder how the heck these courses open at the rates they charge. It's got to cost a fortune to maintain theses courses. Seems to be a combination of low employee wages and a high volume of golfers.

4. larryinalabama

5. LawnsharkMB

LawnsharkMB LawnSite Senior Member

Cost a lot more to maintain bent than Bermuda greens. I think there are two or three courses around here still hanging on to their bentgrass, most have switched to some hybrid Bermuda.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. larryinalabama

Some greens have huge fans to keep them cool in the summer, its crazy I know, but they putt nice.

Its hard to get Burmuda greens fast.

7. TTS

TTS LawnSite Senior Member

Just wanted to take a moment to point out the ironic similarity to the rest of the industry. You're talking about the "lowballer" of golf courses. There's a place for both business models
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Above Par Lawns

Above Par Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

So if you make $9 per hour you must be a drug addict?

9. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

The mexicans have dominated the golf course labor trade from city course all the way East Lake around my area. You still see a few retired/college aged people filling the labor gaps on the crew. Even the Asst Super salaries are low.

10. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

Did you know that Myrtle Beach SC is the epicenter of low wage's for the entire green industry in the US?