Do Grasshopper frontmounts(700 series) offer Mulching decks?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gage7, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Gage7

Gage7 LawnSite Member

I've run Walkers, Scags, demoed a Superbee.. etc.

I love front mount cutters. But I hate side discharge.

As the title says, do Grasshopper frontmounts(700 series) offer Mulching decks?

The mulching deck on my 23hp Walker is the baddest thing I've ever seen.

2. Gage7

Gage7 LawnSite Member

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have used front-mount Grasshoppers in my mowing business, and I have sold them when I owed a store. The decks have a really good mulching kit that can be added to them. The mulch job is very nice in Bermuda and St. Augustine grass. I have no experience with northern grasses. I have also owned Walkers. I would rate the Grasshopper mulch job as good as the Walker mulch job, if not better in some conditions.
    The Grasshopper mulch kit takes about 30-45 minutes to install or remove. For mulcing just once in a while, you can buy a discharge cover plate, and mulch with that. It will however, leave a small trail of clippings along the discharge side of the cut. you can use a blower to spread those clipping trails if needed.

4. Gage7

Gage7 LawnSite Member

I am a full time mulcher. I'm hoping their full bore kit does not leave the small trail of clippings.. as the walker does not. Thanks for the reply by the way.

5. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

I have seen a grasshopper being used to mulch KBG, it looked really nice. No trails of grass that I could see and it was cut in moderate growth. The cut is nice and smooth, also.

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

No, the full mulch kit does not leave a trail of clippings. It does a very nice job.

7. Gage7

Gage7 LawnSite Member

Thanks Mowingman.

8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I've seen the G-Hopper full mulch kit in use as well, and I'd swear it was bagged. They have an awesome set-up for sure. Just like any machine, don't plan on mulching off too much growth or going out when the dew is heavy on the grass...

9. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I can't stand my grasshopper. Besides the serious lack of power and all it's other ailments the deck is just a mess. It does leave a good cut as long as you aren't cutting more than 1" off the top that is perfectly dry and not too thick. Put a couple of drops of water in the mix or mow a heathy thick lawn under it and you get stingers clumps etc. You can't stop forward movement even for a second or you end up with a 3 circles of clipping mess where the blades were spinning. And don't even think about cuting your blades off until you get on the trailer or you will be raking up 40 pounds of clippings that fall out from under the deck. Granted this is a mid mount so the front mounts may be different. $8000 POS. I think they call it a Grasshopper because you have to hop over the giant pile of grass clippings on the bottom of your trailer. lol

Just my .02

10. Gage7

Gage7 LawnSite Member

I just put the first 50 hours on my Kubota 29hp gasoline front mount 729. I am very happy with it so far. I'll do a more thorough review later.