Do harley rakes blow hydraulic lines?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mr. niceguy, May 19, 2006.

1. mr. niceguy

mr. niceguy LawnSite Member

Hi, noob here. I was looking for info on power rakes and stumbled on this site, where I've found not only a lot of good discussion about them but about a lot of other very relevant landscaping stuff. Nice place.

One thing I gathered in all the discussions about Harleyrakes and Rockhounds is the mention a couple of times about blown hydraulics from digging the drum of the Harley rake too deep. I've used a Rockhound before with no problems but it seems from what I've read here that a power rake is usually preferred if only one attachment is to be used. I have 75 tons of topsoil, 25 of it very rocky, and I plan to get a bobcat and probably a Harley type power rake. My one concern is that it may be prone to blowing a line from a moment or even a few seconds of hard grinding or hanging up.

I was hoping the unit could actually dig out half buried rocks of less than 4-5 inches, but I don't want to be constantly worrying about blowing a line.

Any advice?

Thanks,
    Chip

2. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I own a bobcat 185 and have had a 5a landscape rake for 10 years and very happy with it. Now im hearing about the harley rake , does any one have any pics of them. And how do they compare to the landscape rake?
    Mike

3. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a cat 248 with i think a 7 foot glenmac harley rake never had any problems. just bought a dingo as well with a harley rake haven't had any problems within the month we've had it. if its a concern for you i'd rent the setup just for that job if it breaks bring it back.....

4. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

What about having an extra pair of lines just in case? They can't be that much. I love my harley rake.

5. Cahsking

Cahsking LawnSite Member

I've ran a Cat 248a with a Harley rake for 2 years, as long as you understand your only prepping the top dressing the Harley rake will pay for itself ten fold. In other words don't try to excavate with it.

6. mr. niceguy

Thanks for the responses everyone. I feel more confident going with the Harley rake now. One thing I was impressed with is that the manufacturer says it can be used to do small scale grading such as taking down high spots etc. I have one area about 50'x30' which needs to be be taken down by 2-3 inches. It was used as a dumpspot for 3-4 sized stone and has some residual stone pushed down in it. I'd like to be able to use the harley to cull these excess rocks and grade out the highspot. Is the Harley up to this task?

Mike, www.bobcat.com has a pic of their version of the Harley rake. They call it a power rake.

7. Mike33

Thanks but i have one.
    Mike

8. mr. niceguy

There's actually some confusion (at least there was with me) over names. Bobcat makes what they call a "landscaping rake", which is really the same as a rock hound. It catches rocks and puts them in a bucket. They also make a something called a "power rake", which is comparable to a Harley rake. It has toothed drum which windrows rocks and you have to go back and scoop'em up. Even though I like the convienience of having the rocks picked and scooped in one pass, I've read that the latter is a more versatile, allowing you to do spot grading, and it appears to be a bit better suited for bigger rocks within reason.

9. Mike33

Nice to see someone close, i think about 1 hour drive. Im a bobcat man i own a landscape rake but i never heard of the power rake. I have had mine for 10 years and love it. I like the idea of raking and scooping up the debri at same time.
    Mike

10. mr. niceguy

Hey that's right, I just noticed that you're in Cumberland. I grew up in Rockville/Gaithersburg, but I'm probably closer to Cumberland now than I was when I lived in MD.