Do higher HP engines last longer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lzrj, Aug 16, 2006.

1. lzrj

lzrj LawnSite Member

Do engines that have higher horsepower last any longer? Take a 19hp kawi and a 25hp kawi. Will the 25 run more hours than the 19 or does it only produce more power. I know they are usually set up to run the same rpm. I just was wondering if the rpms would wear on a smaller engine more than a larger thus making it wear out faster.

2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

say you hvae a 52" mower. In my opnion the larger HP engine would last longer.The 19hp would have to work harder to do the same job as the 25hp. So yes it would last longer.

3. lzrj

lzrj LawnSite Member

Thats what I was thinking. But you also got to take in account that the larger engine is usually running a heavier mower and a bigger mowing deck offsetting the longer life.

4. lzrj

lzrj LawnSite Member

If the engines were on the exact same mower I would say it would last longer, but take for example John Deere.....a 19 hp on a 717 model with a 48" cut or a 23 hp on a 727 with a 52" deck. What would tou say then.

5. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say the 52 with the 23hp would be a netter choice. Because your getting 4 more hp for 4 more inches of cut.

6. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

On the same application, yes, otherwise, no. There is no way of knowing if a 15hp engine on a 36" would last longer than a 31hp engine on a 60" deck. It depends on maintenance, how hard the engines are worked and just luck of the draw. No two engines are built alike and one may be trouble free while one might be a lemon.

7. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

I would expect more hours out of the 19kawi vs the 25 if both were the 725cc displacement. More hp coming out of the same engine with carb changes would shorten the life of the engine---thats my opinion

8. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello, good answer . Q I wonder how many engine makers are doing this ?? ANSWER most or only 50cc or so diff:hammerhead: for eng life SOLUTION Diesel 900cc 1.1ltr 1.3ltr 1.5ltr or 30hp /60inch 35hp/72inch Why do most mowers come with eng that are to small[zrt] either built to price or a profit margin. tomo:gunsfirin

9. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

In my experience it does'nt really matter about engine size as long as the engine has iron sleeve or bore and spin on filter and good regular maintnance. I have used a variety of engines on various equipment in my busn. for years with no problems. If you use it as intended (no grass over 8", wet and long )you should have no problems as well, for as long as you own it. Most engines will last a long time if you dont push it to extremes all the time.

10. TWUllc

TWUllc LawnSite Senior Member

I'm buying whatever is cheaper to replace.