Do I buy the eXmark or Grasshopper ZTR ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Blake Gaston, May 20, 2002.

1. Blake Gaston

Blake Gaston LawnSite Member

I’m trying to decide on either a 52” ZTR eXmark or the similar in a Grasshopper. I know everyone is fond of eXmark. My dealer sales both. I can save apprx 500 to 1000 if I go with the Grasshopper. Is there a big difference between the two, as far as reliability and performance ? Thank you for your opinions.

2. Blake Gaston

:blob3:
    Fella's, You opinion please on the eXmark Grasshopper question.
    Thanks !

3. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Well...your post has only been up for an hour and most people are out working. Why don't you do some searches in the meantime? I'm sure it has been discussed.

4. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

just popped in while i made a pit stop. don't know much about grasshoppers (other than being a little odd looking). i say exmark with a 23 kawi.

5. Hodge

Hodge LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark is the only way to go... have been running a 32" and 48" and the cut is excellent....:blob3: :blob4: :blob1:

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Blake,

Someone on here just bought a Grasshopper Diesel 28 ZTR. Do a search and look him up (if he doesn't find it tonite!)

The Grasshoppers use a Gemini Transmission/Hydro unit. (at least I think they still do?) Its a combo pump/trans/motor in one unit.

Almost EVERY other ZTR manufacturer uses seperate pumps and wheel motors.
    I'm not saying that either is good or bad, but I have heard that hydro problems on a Grasshopper can be pretty expensive out of warranty.

If it was me, I'd go with the Lazer. (which I did) Mainly because there isn't a Grasshopper dealer nearby.

Grasshopper has been around for many years, and I remember a relative of mine in the early 80's boasting about his at a family reunion. At that time it was about the only "stick" mower out there in mass production.

Good Luck

Do some MORE searches. Its been discussed in at least 100 different threads!

7. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've owned 2 Grasshoppers. The first, a 720K with 52" mulching deck lasted until around 1500 hours before the right "Gemini" transmission blew and cost me around $1500 to fix. Before that the 20HP Kohler on it blew a cam gear and that cost me $400 to repair "under warranty". My second Grasshopper was a 725 G2. I bought it because my dealer assured me I couldn't buy a more heavy duty engine/transmission combination and that with only me driving it doing only 70 lawns per week it would probably last forever. Well, at around 1100 hours a needle bearing broke or shattered in a wheel motor and sucked itself up into the pump unit. Damages were to the tune of aprox $2400. At that point I resigned myself to never ever buy any Grasshopper product again. One of my pet peeves with Grasshopper was the fact that
    if you want to change your Hydro oil you have to buy the Grasshopper brand in order to keep it in warranty and you need 2 gal of it at $70 per gal. COME ON, $70 PER GAL, GIVE ME A BREAK! That means that to change the hydro oil you have to spend almost $200 when you include a new filter. Compare that to an Exmark that only needs a couple quarts of Mobil 1 for aprox $4.50 each at Wal-Mart. Also, it seems to me that Exmark is REALLY trying to be the BEST mower company out there. Just do a search about their manufacturer forum and see that they are quick to respond to any and all questions. That, to me proves that they want our business and are willing to earn it. I currently own a 23 hp Husky 52" but only because in my area the local Exmark dealer is an obnoxious &#$%@)&^?+#*.

8. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

Both are great mowers but I've tested the new GH ZTR and that machine is SWEET. Easy to do maintenance. Plenty of go power.
    (Also I'm a little bias because thats the name of our biz):D ;)

9. Blake Gaston

Thanks guy’s for your suggestions ! I have found this forum to be very helpful.
    I decided to go with a Exmark Lazer Z 52” 25hp Kohler. Bought it today for $7884.00 from my local dealer. Also got a Stihl Trimmer FS85RT $350.00 and a Stihl Blower BG85 $200.00. I’ll let you know how they all work out. Thanks.

10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I am sure you will like the EXmark, but you would have saved some money and gotten just as good a machine if you had bought the Grasshopper midmount. I have two diesel midmounts and they are great machines. Grasshopper does not use the Gemini trans system on any of the midmounts. It is used on a series of front mount machines. You can get the heavier duty G1 or G2 trans. systems on the front deck machines also. While the Gemini trans. has been badmouthed by many, I had one that had 3000 hrs on the Gemini hydro units before they had to be replaced. Our City Parks Dept. tells me they average about 2000hrs life on their Gemini Trans. They have 3 machines with the Gemini hydros and just ordered 2 more. The Gemini system is expensive to replace. Most machines now are sold with the heavier duty G1 or G2 trans. systems.:)