Do I call, or do I flier?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by lawnboy82, Sep 27, 2001.

1. Hi guys, I am trying to get work for this aeravator I am in the middle of purchasing. I have tried calling other lawn care professionals, and am getting a good response, I think. Now the problem with subbing for other LCO's is that I have to sign a no-compete contract. Well I mean I don't have to, but I think it would be right to. Currently I am calling Property Management Co's. I figure that if I do a good job at aeravation, then I can get in there for maintenance and what not. I am finding however that when I place these calls a lot of the time I get an answering machine, wasted time, or just a no-name company.

So here is my question, would it be more time effective for me to just make up a good flier or two and send them out in the mail, or to instead continue making phone calls?

Which do you feel would get the best response? Be most cost effective? I have no wish to accumulate a massive phone bill. (calling from school long distance :( )
  2. plow kid

plow kid Banned

Matt, I have had good luck printing our 4x6 postcards & sending them out, i get a 6% call rate
  3. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

If you've had good luck with phone calls, then thats the way to go, same with fliers.

I'd say send letters to targeted customers or targeted neighborhoods. A general letter that you can change the name in. After that, you may get calls. Whoever you don't get calls from, follow up your letter with a phone call. I'd say leave messages 3 times within a 2 week period. After that hold tight.

Hope this helps!
  4. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

<b> Thread moved since the topic deals with Marketing</b>
  5. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

I thought you were in school and out of the biz? :confused: