Do I charge?

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Colaguy, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Colaguy

Colaguy LawnSite Senior Member

Had a guy call me tonight wanting three big old Tv's hailed away. Set up a time for Thursday. He calls back 10 mins later asking if I charge a fee? Of course I do. "Oh, well I guess I'll have to make others arrangements cause your ad didnt say you charged a fee". I said, Do you think they run my ad for free in the paper? How in the world do you think I'd be able to pay for ad if I didnt charge a fee? lol.

Some people.

2. bugsNbows

bugsNbows LawnSite Member

Pretty simple... time + fuel = money!

3. LandscapemanFL

LandscapemanFL LawnSite Member

Surprised that he didn't want to be paid for you picking it up. :laugh:

4. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

What made him think you haul TV's away?

5. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Perhaps the OP advertises "Hauling" as a service?

:confused:

6. Colaguy

I do some debris hauling on the side. I make pretty good $ vs landscaping work. Yesterday I hauled off a washer/dryer (neither work) and a 19" tv and particle board shelf thingy. Charged $110. Upstairs apt, prob took 25 mins to load up.

Stripped all copper insulated wire out of tv and W/D. I get $1.10+ for wire. Tinny items like the W/D, get .11 per lb. I earn pretty good money off of scrap metal. I get a lot of brass & tube copper and aluminium as well. Makes lots more $ off of those.

I resell quite a bit of stuff I haul away, on Craigslist. More money :drinkup:

7. Colaguy

Hauled this away for $175. Sold on CL for $100 today to a local firefighter. Going to deliver for an extra $10. My family thinks its funny I haul away debris & can actually make a living doing that. Could of resold it for more on CL, but my goal is to sell cheap quickly & use that $ elsewhere.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Are you the guy who drives the ratty 1975 Chevy with 5' tall side boards that looks through my trash every week around 10pm?

;)

9. Colaguy

Yes and thank you for leaving that half eaten donut in the box so it wouldnt get dirty in the trash can. It was tasty! :drinkup: