1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do I go with mulching blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jpicciu, May 20, 2006.

1. jpicciu

jpicciu LawnSite Member

Okay, so I have been reading a lot on here about people using mulching blades. I am by no means a blade expert so even though it may seem stupid to some people, I gotta ask - since nearly all of the yards I mow are fertilized and grow like crazy, should I go use mulching blades? Right now, northwest ohio just got a ton of rain, and even the jobs I mow twice a week are leaving clippings like crazy, even if I mow them high at 3 1/2 or higher. Going over the yard again helps somewhat, but it looks worse since there's more tracks. I'm pretty tired of it. So my questions are...

1) do I go to mulching blades, or do I just have to make do with the situation?

2) is it a lot different to put on my mower (like is instalation the same)

3) how hard are they to find and are they expensive

4) and does my mower right now (Cub M60 Tank) already have mulching blades on it (in which case I will hang my head in shame)
  2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

1 No, not in the spring with the growth and rain, you will have a real mess...
    2 Thet are put on the same way
    3 Might cost a little more than regular blades
    4 More than likely has high lift blades now.
  3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I am using the Gator blades right now w/ no blocking plate. They blow the grass out about the same, but in finer pieces. Basically, the only difference to me is that I think the Gators stripe a little better than my standard lift blades so I keep using them. If the grass is too tall, just raise your blades even more. If your customer calls, just let them know you can come more often if they would like, but due to the growing speed, you would have to double cut to keep up which will still cost more.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It depends on the machine, I find on mine high lifts work better but years ago on my float decks, mulchers were the solution that saved the day, rain or shine didn't matter, I want install-and-forget blades that are good overall.

So try them out, if it makes things worse, switch back to high lifts.
  5. jpicciu

jpicciu LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input. Looks like I might just have to do with the situation, although if I feel crazy I might try putting them on and seeing what happens. I guess it just seems that guys think that mulching blades will eliminate double cutting (or at least thats what I have read on here). Not a lot you can do this time of year with the rain. Those yards are thick and high.