Do I grab the new machine.

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Squizzy246B, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

I'm going to make the Cat man crunch the numbers but I thought I'd ask for some opinions:

The 246B is an 04 model we bought new in May 05 and has 550 hrs on the clock after 7 months work. The Cat finance was at 6.9% for 60 months. Our interest rates run about 2% higher than the States and the best a bank could do me was 8%. I financed $30K for the 246B being half the cost of the purchase.

Our Cat dealer is clearing out 05 stock and is particularly keen to clear some of the mid and larger sized skids. 216 & 226 are the big sellers here. The 246B doesnt have the full cab and Aircon...a major bummer in summer here, less for the heat than the Dust.

I can go for a 242B with full cab and aircon for 4.9% but I don't know what they will offer for the trade. I'm thinking that if my monthly repayments only go up a $100 or so I may as well get into the new machine. All our attachments will change straight over. What do you think??

2. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

If the AC is going to make a huge difference for dust and comfort, then go for it. The question being, will the 242 do what you need done that you are using the 246 to do?

3. Squizzy246B

Bill, we use every last pound of lift capacity and then some on the 246B. The 242B has the same ROC but tipping load is a bit less. The 246B is as big as we can operate in our work. Ideally we would run a 277 and a 216 but you can't have everything. Our work is so varied we have to try and run with the "perfect allrounder".

4. Squizzy246B

Bill, I think I'd go with the 246 and the 3044 Mitsupillar engine rather than the 242. I don't like the idea of going backwards in the power dept. The 242 is attractive because of the slightly shorter length.

5. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Squizzy, I took a look on the CAT site at both machines. I think if you can get a fair deal go for it the 242B has a lighter "foot print" than your current 246B. What you mentioned about the tipping load is correct. The 242B has a T.L. of 4,000lbs. Your current 246B is rated at 4,188lbs. Going back to what I said about a lighter "foot print" your 246 weights in at 7,142lbs the 242 is 6,802lbs. To me it would be a wise choice but, I'm not the one plunking down the payup . Good luck Squiz I hope to see pic of your new baby lol :D

Rob

6. Squizzy246B

Thanks Rob, good points. Sometimes the 246B is a handfull in the sand and our wheel spin is something shocking. Getting some water around and lowering the tyre pressure always helps but ultimatley a lighter machine may be better. Having said that the 242B is not that much lighter and has the smaller 3024 (57Hp) engine At times the 78 hp of the 246 is very welcome.

We will get the Cat man to toss some figures. 550 hrs is not a lot but we would all like to be in a new machine everyday. The new warranty is a factor.

7. Squizzy246B

Looking at the spec's and apart from the 2 speed option on the 248 I can't see any differences. Whats that about??...or am I missing something??.

8. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Squizzy, The only things I can spot are as follows: 246-42.8 hydraulic hp, 22gpm hydraulic flow, Net hp 78. 248 78.3 hydraulic hp, 33gpm hydraulic flow, Net hp 76. The 248 weights in at 7,321 lbs.

Don't know if this helps any.

Rob

9. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

Lazer hit it spot on: the 248B (and 268B, while we're at it) are identical to the 246B and 262B, but have the XPS-high flow system. If you run high-performance attachments, the 248B's the way to trade.

I'm also a little leery of going backwards in power. If you do need the smaller footprint of the 242B, you may want to try it out first -- either in lifting some of the heavier pallets a few inches off the ground, or just in heavy digging (though if it's in sand, I'm not sure the extra breakout force will matter too greatly). One other vote for the 242B is that it'll probably consume a little less fuel. I'm not sure how big of an importance that is (depends first on how you operate), but if it's a thought, I'll throw it in the pot.

Finally, have you considered a 257B?

10. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

The 242's visibility is horrible because of lift arms. Also, your work consists of a lot of digging with your skid right? Vertical lift machines are a no go for digging, a radial lift is much better suited for digging.