Do I have a carburetor problem?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by CFB, Apr 14, 2008.

1. CFB

CFB LawnSite Senior Member

I am engine illiterate. I bought a mower that has been sitting for a year. The fuel was not drained and their is no shutoff valve for the fuel. The engine will not start. Guy sprayed starter fuel into the engine and it fired up to show me that it worked (I assume this is not a good thing to do). But, now that I got it home, it will not start.

Does this mean I need a new carb? And are they simple to install, if so?

Or could it be something else?

2. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

3. CFB

Ok it is a gravely 1332 WB. 32"

Engine is 13hp Kaw FH381V

And what I've done to correct the problem is nothing because I'm not sure what to do. But I want to learn how to fix my machines.

4. CFB

I put new gas in it and I put a little gas in the carb and it started right up. I let it run for a several minutes and it ran fine. I shut it off and then started it again and it started right up.

Went back a few hours later and tried to start it and it would not start.

Any ideas?

5. SLR

SLR LawnSite Gold Member

My 2cents=
    Inside Carb: take apart and clean entire float bowl area. Most likely valve needle gummed/sticking. Check/replace inline fuel filter, spark plug, air filter, drain all gas,replace motor oil,
    Thats where i would start my elimination process.

6. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

those kaw's have a carb bowl drain. small screw on the bowl open and let fule drain for a min. or so then try again

7. CFB

O.K. I'll try that too.

8. CFB

I took the carb off and the bowl and cleaned it. There was hardly anything that needed to be cleaned. I couldn't reach the needle to find out if it was sticking. It still would not fire up after I cleaned it.

9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Apply the choke, Look down the air filter base to see if the butterfly is FULLY closed. Stick your finger down in there and see if it closes any further when pushed. It must close FULLY for cold starts.

Adjust the cable if need be for FULL closure....

10. CFB

OK restro, thanks I'll check that out.

Also maybe I don't know how I should clean the carb. I'm still thinking this might be the issue. It is getting gas from the fuel pump so that is not the issue.

Does it need to be taken apart and cleaned with carb cleaner? What all needs to be cleaned on it?