1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do I have a shot?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Axl, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Axl

Axl LawnSite Member

In order to have a legitimate shot at scoring a commercial account, do you have to offer full service(mowing, bushes, mulch, fertilization, snow removal)? My only concern is fertilization seeing as I don't have the license to do so.
  2. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

in my opinion, yes. it has been my experience that commercial accounts are more receptive to FULL SERVICE companies. that won't prevent you from getting clients, however it may limit the number you are able to estimate. good luck.
  3. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

just sub out the work and bid the proposal as though you are doing it all yourself
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Call some spray companies in your area. Ask them to give you a bid. Add that number in and let them spray it for you.
  5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Just what I was thinking!!
  6. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, like the other guys said you can always sub out the other services you don't provide. I did very little ferts (only for friends and just to be nice.) I didn't see the profit in it unless you did a ton of them and that wasn't what I wanted to do. Many times I convinced clients that they were much better off using a company that specialied in it and refer them to another company. Don't forget to talk to the other companies and set up a referal agreement So you get a cut of the deal. I usually got between 10 and 15%, hey it isn't much but it's easy money.
  7. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

you dont need a license for just fert right?
  8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Correct, but rarely will you only fertilize. There will be a need for pre-m's, post emerges, fungicides and insecticides at some points during the season.
  9. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

In my state, you need a license for fert and pesticide. You have to take a test for the pesticide license but not for the fert. You can get a fert only license pretty easy. Just send in the app, but the DOA told me you MUST have the fert license to apply fert. I find the fert license handy for lawn repairs and aerations. Don't want to do the pesticide. Too much hassle and liability.
  10. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

In NY, you can spread fertlizer without a specific license for it (dry applications only)...spraying and buying other chemicals you need a license and/or apprenticeship accredidation