Do I have issue's?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by millenniumlandscape, Apr 7, 2004.

1. millenniumlandscape

millenniumlandscape LawnSite Member

I've been working in the landscape and lawncare field since I was 13, I have always taken pride in my work, whether I was just a weedwhip operator or a foreman (I don't have an ego, Even though it will sound like I do? But I always think my work is the best)(I can take critisism and listen to others opinions) But ever since 1999 when I opened my business I have found myself getting more and more competitive in all aspects of business. "How my equiptment looks, how my employees dress, what the trucks look like when we stop for lunch, are my contracts and bids professional looking? These are all things I constantly worry about being better than the other guy at. I live in an area where there are so many LCO's that I find myself dispizing them and there crews, I never talk bad about any other contractors or companies when asked by a potential customer for my opinion on them, (But in my head I dislike them all very much, and I want to get every job that I bid). I know there is enough work to go around for everyone, thats not the point, I just don't like losing to a company that doesn't meet my standards of work. DO I HAVE ISSUES?

2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Ahhhh.. yep. It's called being self-employed. If you didn't have these issues, you'd probably be running around with an 88 omni on a 4x8 Home Depot trailer with 3 push mowers you got out of the recycle pile at the local Yard-Man dealer.

3. millenniumlandscape

Ok, so I'm not alone. Sometimes I think its healthy to be competitive, sometimes I think its certifiable.

Thanks

4. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Those are good issues to have. I wish more of us had the same tenacity as you, You not only make a good impression for you and your company but also a good impression for the industry as a whole. Keep up the good work.

5. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

No, I think you would call it being a proffesional.:)

6. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

sometimes it is healthy to be competetive and YES sometimes you are certifiable,,,,,bro we got to hang out some time!:)

7. millenniumlandscape

I'd like that Norm Al, if I'm ever down south we'll have to get together for a cold one. I appreciate that I'm not alone in my way of thinking. Sometimes it just gets so frustrating owning and operating a business. I have a hard time of setting work aside when I get home at night. Sounds like I'm not alone on that one either.

8. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Most people spend an enormous amount of time concerned about their business, but it sounds like you might be bordering on obsessive. Not a totally bad thing, however it can rapidly turn into burn out. A lot of small business owners that "fail" or aren't in business after 5 years, don't always leave because of financial reasons, a large percentage leave because of burn out.

good luck

9. millenniumlandscape

I understand that, and know that I need to tone my competitivness down a little bit. I don't plan on burning out anytime soon, but I'm sure others have thought the same thing.

Thanks
    Kevin

10. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

You could probably benifit from a hobby, but then again two obsessive compulsions in your life could put you over the edge or at least put you in divorce court if you are married.