Do I have to get Workmans Comp.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by turfwrangler, May 22, 2006.

1. turfwrangler

turfwrangler LawnSite Member

A buddy of mine has his own business doing trim work, he said that I will probably have to get workman's comp. even if I plan to start out on my own without employees. Do you guys who work alone have workman's comp?

2. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

no. its not required in oregon for what i do.

3. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

As a solo you should not need W/C as only you put yourself in harms way and take the risk. But as soon as you have employees-- Get it.
    If you sub out make sure they have it.
    I have a real estate lic. and I am required to have it by the company I work at, even though I am a self employed person. If I get hurt working for them I could go after them. That is why you need it if you sub.

4. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

If you have no "payroll employees" then you dont need workmans comp .. In NY to get our license we need a waiver of workmans comp form filled out saying that we have no employees

5. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC LawnSite Member

In michigan the owner, is not covered by workmans comp. only your employees. so consider that.

6. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

Nope. None is required.

7. hue-nut

hue-nut LawnSite Member

nope not for me?

8. turfwrangler

turfwrangler LawnSite Member

That's what I thought, it didn't make sense to me. Thanks for the knowledge.