Do I have to pay

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by HBFOXJr, Nov 9, 2011.

1. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is a great industry topic. In adding new accounts this fall, I get people that ask "will you bill me". I'm so used to the nonsense I politely respond. they pay the tech at the time of service. They don't object. However it shouldn't even be a question. We all pay every time we buy gas, food, clothes, Dr., car wash, plumber, etc.

We tightened up on credit in 2007, and insisted on payment at the time of service even though it had been our policy for years. We had a couple people get cranky over that, and we held the line.

I feel the issue behind the consumer question is, people in this industry so reluctant to bill and get paid. Why bill a little service like a blow out especially when people are there? It's less than a grocery bill for many families.

So we have people afraid to ask for enough money for what they do and then they are afraid to collect. Meow. They'd never survive if they were animals.

2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I prefer to bill. The time it takes for them to get their checkbook , write a check, and talk about that 1 head they may want to move in the spring I could be done with the blowout next door.

3. HBFOXJr

We have about 40% pre pay. The billable ones leave a check on the timer for us, or we give them the bill when we get there and pick up when complete. We don't like chasing blow out receivables and shouldn't have to.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Lots of winterizings are done with no one home, and an invoice left in a door-hanger envelope.

5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

or emailed.....

6. HBFOXJr

Why not arrange for payment at the time of service?

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Too much work for the return

8. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Employees have enough to do without having to deal with payments.

9. Worrying about doing the work when I could get a check screwed up my schedule. If they left or weren't there I just left an invoice. Same with Henry. I did leave a long message on their answering phone explaining all the work done while driving to the next job. If they didn't send a check by 30 days i sent another invoice. Rarely failed to get paid. I'd prefer to wait for a check than use a cc and get paid quickly.

10. zman9119

zman9119 LawnSite Senior Member

98% of our clients are prepay under a contract. The others are billed after complete with our monthly billing. Checks, cash, or EFT only. No CCs.