Do I have to Winterize??

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Signature Landscaping1, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Should i winterize my equipment, I store my little wonder, my redmax trimmer, and echo backpack in the basement. I added stabilizer to them( dont know bout the amount) then i took them out and started them up today. Also I just got a lesco w/b bout a month ago, and every week or so i start it up and run it for a few, should i add stabilizer?. Need feedback
    Thanks, Joe

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Stabilizer isn't a bad idea, But if you only put a small amount of fuel in it and start in up at-least once a month it should be just fine without.

3. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

I say using it helps, run your stuff like you stated helps.

4. Signature Landscaping1

from Mass

i have stabilizer in the backpack, and the trimmer, i can still run those once and a while right?

5. Restrorob

Yes, Won't hurt a thing.....

6. Signature Landscaping1

from Mass

thanks, bu one more ?, what happens when you add to much stabilizer?
    I added the right amount to my equip, but just a ques

7. Restrorob

I have never heard of anything happening, As long as your close to the amount it shouldn't do anything.

8. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

OK, Son, Here is the scoop. #1. Add the Stabilizer to a container of gas, according to the directions. Then fill the equipment from the container. Keep your mixes and your straights labeled. #2. Never listen to any guy from Florida who lives in the woods and never experiences temperatures lower than 40 degrees. Especially if that sameguy has a name like Rob or something. He is probably just a RedNeck, anywho.

9. Restrorob

Thanks alot Jim !!!!!!!!!!

10. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

A little extra stabilizer won't hurt.

If you can mix it in the cans, great, but remember that you are diluting it if there is already gas in the machine (and there will be) when you put stabilized fuel in from the cans. Remember to run the machine for a while to get stabilized fuel into the carb.

As for that redneck from the woods of Florida, he is OK in my books :). He could use a snowmobiling trip in northern Quebec to teach him about running 2 strokes at -35 degrees, but we could all stand to learn something.

Actually the 2 stroke snowmobiles are awesome at those temeperatures if they are setup right. Rope it twice on full choke and they light right up. The 4 stroke snowmobiles are doing great too, once you get them started! They actually have block heaters that need to be plugged into 115V. They are much more trouble in the extreme cold.

deej (from other, colder, woods)