1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do I just not know engines???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Aug 9, 2004.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Ok, you see my other thread in regards to the lawn boy. Well, the one that I am working one right now doesn't have a blade on it. My old man (dad), told me that I need to have that blade on before I can start the engine because it acts as a counter balancer. I have never heard of that before. I am just stupid for not knowing that? I guess what I am saying is, should I have known that?
  2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Counter balance?
    Might be once it is running,but It doesn't have anything to do with it running...................
  3. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Don't feel bad never heard to that also.
  4. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

Is it a two srtoke?

Lets just say it might need it for (weight) much like a flywheel....
  5. tiedeman

from earth

I think that is what he was basically getting at. The fact that once it starts to run
  6. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

You can start it, but the engine wont run right without the blade on it. Small mower engines dont have a large enough flywheel or some dont even have one. So you need the weight of the blade to keep the engine running normally.
  7. tiedeman

from earth

ahh that makes sense
  8. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

I try............
  9. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Actually it doesnt make sence at all to me. The engine is bolted to the deck, the blade does nothing but create a very slight resistence. Nothing even measurable.
  10. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, it is measuralbe-particularly to a small displacement two-stroke motor. Reciprocating mass is needed in order for the motor to translate the kinetic energy developed during the internal combustion process - no mass/or insuffcient mass = poor or no run operation. This is particularly important on two-stroke motors wherein a run away situation is a very real possibility.
    Think about two-cycle outboard boat motors, start one of those motors out of the water with a flush type rinsing muffler and rev it up. A run away is a very distinct possibility despite having a greater mass of flywheel.
    You father was partially correct, counter balance to some limited extent, counter weight to a very necessary extent.