1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do I lowball?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by genesis landscapes, Apr 12, 2005.

1. genesis landscapes

genesis landscapes LawnSite Member

I put out 500 flyers got 1 call a small lawn about 1/4. They wanted bi-weekly cut, edge, bag, blow. It is upscale community so I bid 45.00. I made two calls to person to follow up. they have not returned my calls. Am I to high? Should I just go and charge 20.00 like a lowballer to get the work. I am getting depressed no work yet. They say build it and they will come! When???? Thanks for letting me vent. :cry:
  2. wally world III

wally world III LawnSite Member

first your way tooooooo high
    for 1/4 acre i only charge $30.00 period.......

i think you better start what you want to be called Low -- Baller
    i don't think so.................. :blob3:
    :cool2: :help: :waving: :cry:
    :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
  3. genesis landscapes

Your 30.00 price same for Biweekly? I thought more would be right. I was going to charge 30.00 week. :confused:
  4. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

First off, if it is an upscale community, there is no reason they should not want weekly service. Secondly, they want you to bag it because it would look like CRAP if you didnt it will be so long. I dont think you want that customer to be honest with you, so stick to your $45. If they come around, great. If not, let some scrub do it for $20 and lose his a$$.

I charge $25 for a weekly cut, and $30 to bag (weekly) for 1/4. I do not take on bi-weekly cuts as a rule, unless I KNOW that the grass is in real sandy soil, and the owner dont fert or water and just wants it knocked down every now and then. Those I will do, but only as a mulch. That way if it does start growing good, I offer to come weekly, but never to bag a bi-weekly. For the most part, bi-weeklys are a PITA and usually dont last long.

Hope that helps some, and you will need to pass out way more than 500 flyers. A few thousand is more what you need.

5. genesis landscapes

mower for less, thanks that is what I think too. Working on that flyer dist. I am solo and work part time and a daddy day care :p :dizzy: when son is in good mood we go been cold out for him
  6. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

I always charge more on the bi-weekly due to the extra time it takes. Your best bet is to figure your costs and only use the going rates as a guideline.
    For me bi-weekly is an add on, bagging definitely an add on considering its bi-weekly. I dont think your that high. If you have already passed out only 500 flyers and got 1 call you are not doing bad. I have 5,000 to pass out. Whatever you do, do not do work to end up making 5 bucks. A better use of your time would be to keep flyering areas you want to work and let a scrub do this one for $20. At least it will keep him off the streets for an hour or so!

While I was typing Mower for less said it all! Good advice
  7. wally world III

&#65279;< 1/4 acres ~~~~~~~~~ $30 not less than this # .........
    i don't even do any site unless its weekly basis.............

i have 77 lawn site i do now...............

but, i also have 2 - gravely pm 260, 60" cut diesel bought last year
    and 1 - gravely pm 260, 60" cut gas bought 2 weeks ago

forget the word Low~~~Baller period..................

move on please !!!!!
    payup payup payup payup payup payup payup
  8. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Sooo....what makes the price toooo high? Sounds like you're tooooo low. Depending on location a bi-weekly 100 x 120 lot no bagging goes for $40.00 - 45.00. So, who's the Low--Baller?
  9. wally world III

:blob3: 1/4 acre only takes me 10 minutes period.........

$45 (5mows)= $225 /hour

you must be nuts......................

you must have a ztr mower, all walk behinds...............
  10. dmc337

dmc337 LawnSite Member

I charge a minimum of $35 to show up....hasn't failed me yet....that will cover me up to 1/2 hr. Price then goes at buck a minute, rounded to next 5 minute increment. I need to make $60/hr. solo on weekly cuts to keep me in the black. Bi-weekly gets charged $45 minimum since its usually a little more to clean-up.