Do I need a CDL?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by FLCthes4:11-12, May 15, 2010.

1. FLCthes4:11-12

FLCthes4:11-12 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sure this question will get different responses cause the laws are different from area to area. I live in GA and just bought a used F600 dump truck hydraulic over electric brakes. It has a GVW of 23,000 lbs. Can I pull my 8,500 lbs. gvw trailer with out a Cdl. My class C license states may operate single vehicle less than 26001gvwr. may tow trailer less than 10,001 gvwr. May tow trailer over 10,001 gvwr provided the gcwr is less than 26,001. I was kind of confused i thouhgt anything over 26,000 combo you had to have cdl.
    thanks

2. salopez

salopez LawnSite Senior Member

You need your class B's. C's let you drive a total combined weight of 26k lbs.
    B's give your any weight truck and a trailer up to 10k lbs.

3. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

That is incorrect.

As long as the truck is under 26k and the trailer is under 10k no CDL is required.

4. salopez

salopez LawnSite Senior Member

You sure? Ga. is a long way off from the mid west...

A Georgia CDL is required if you operate any of the following CMV's . . .
    1. A vehicle with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 26,000 lbs.
    2. A vehicle towing a unit with a manufacturer's GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs. when the GCWR exceeds 26,000 lbs.
    3. A vehicle used to . . .(a.) carry 15 or more passengers (excluding the driver), or (b.) carry (15) or less people (including the driver) when carrying children to or from school and home regularly for compensation.
    4. A vehicle carrying hazardous materials in amounts requiring placarding.

5. Duffster

from Midwest

Positive.....and GA is just about as far from Maryland. Besides CDL requirements are pretty much the same everywhere.

Now compare the OP's vehicles to each line of the following.

So like I said no CDL required for that combination.

6. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

It depends on the state you live in. Here in KY, if you are the owner of the company or truck, you are grandfathered in somehow and do not have to get a CDL. You only have to get one when you are driving another guys/companies truck. And even then its not enforced at all here. If it is a smaller company anyway.

7. Duffster

from Midwest

I doubt that.

CDL requirements are the same for an owner operator as they are for a company driver no matter the size of the company.

8. MikeKle

I know it is that way with tri axle dump trucks, as I was going to drive one a few years ago for this small company and they explained how that worked. however for a regular semi truck, it is probably not the same? enforcement is also a big factor too, the states requirements may be one thing, but if the cops do not enforce it, then it doesnt matter. This guy who owned a few dump trucks was a retired sheriff, so Im sure he wasnt subject to the same laws as everyone else!

9. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

CDL is FEDRAL!!! If you are driving a triaxle without a CDL you are breaking the law. they may not pull you over and check but if something happens you better believe that it will be an issue. There was a local paving contractor here who was doing that same thing, no CDL cause he was small and just ran local, well one of the guys got in a accident and by the time the lawyers were done he last his business and his home. also the driver did 6 months in jail and had to pay a huge fine.

10. MikeKle

What year was it that they changed the truck driving laws from only having to get a Chaueffers license to the CDL license? I believe it was mid to late 80s, but not sure? Do you all think some guys were "grandfathered" in when this law went into effect?