Do I need a CDL?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by spudman 2, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Care to point any out?

2. Brad Ent

Brad Ent LawnSite Member

duffster,
    CT has adopted their own set of guidlines that are more stringent than FMV CDL standards. Regulations for CT can be accessed via CT Motor Transport Website.

You've got to do your homework and know the requirements for the State(s)you plan to operate in.

3. Duffster

from Midwest

Prove it.

CDL requirements do not vary between states. (except CA) Even if they did it doesn't matter what another states requirements are because once to go interstate you fall under the federal standard.

4. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

your still wrong

5. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't travel more than 25 miles out from my house I don't care what other states do. Unless he is on a border state town then it only matters what state he has it registered in.
    In Tn. It is over 26,000 GWR that requires a CDL.That means I can drive a 26ft. box truck on my regular D.L. A Isuzu landscape truck is only 12,000-14,000 GWR. so no problem.

6. Duffster

from Midwest

Where? .......

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

First. We are all Commercial Drivers if we drive a 1/2 pickup truck or f550... you are driving a vehicle for a commercial enterprise.

weight/combo weight of our vehicles and trailers is what determines if we need a CDL endorsement. which is pretty much across the board for all states based on federal guidelines.

Now some states are making harder for commercial drivers who are below the CDL requirements. In that if you have a truck trailer combo less than the states magic number you may need a Dr Card, record checks, first aid kids, fire extinguisers, Pretrip inspection log, safety triangles and so on...So basically everything a CDL driver needs, just no endorsement.

thats why this question is so hard to answer with out knowing where you are located...

and in all honesty we all have good intentions here, but the only people you should be trusting for the proper answer is your States DMV office

8. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

correction. Dufster is right! The laws are written the same for all states! Or at least the several i just looked up. Ive heard of guys getting in trouble for towing little trailers with large, near limit trucks because they were over 26 and you should be able to do so everywhere!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  9. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

if they got in trouble it is because the officer doesnt know the law. you can drive a 25950# truck and pull a 9900# trailer with a regular license and be perfectly legal. even if it has air brakes.

10. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

The Air breaks I would have to question.

From what I have read some states are starting to require you to have all the safety equipment and a medical card for anything over say 10,000 but don't require the CDL endorsement.