Do I need a CDL?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by spudman 2, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Air brakes make no difference.

2. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

I know when you do get the CDL you have different test for air or manual brakes.
    Example: Our church buss is a diesel shuttle buss with manual brakes. When all the youth leaders took the test there endorsement is for "non air brakes" .

3. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

yes if it is a CDL vehicle then it matters but if under it doesnt.

4. Duffster

from Midwest

An endorsement for non air brakes?

That is a new one.:rolleyes:

5. WorldsStrongestLandscaper

WorldsStrongestLandscaper LawnSite Member

Ok I just got pulled over the other day in Thomaston CT on RT 8. Here is what I was told by the trroper that issued me the ticket! My 04 Ford F-350 Dump's GVRW is 12500 my trailer's GVRW is 14000. Soooo 26500 total GVRW. 500lbs over the limit. I needed a CDL. If I Use my 03 Ford Crew F-350 to pull the same exact trailer with a GVRW of 9500 (total 23500) I am fine! No Ticket! If I can get the DMV to change the GVRW on the trailer to like say 13499 then it'll be ok to pull it with the Dump! Wierd right? If any person operates a vehicle with airbrakes then on their lisence it must have the endorsement. I think you must pass the CDL test to get the endorsement for the airbrakes,but I'm not too sure on the airbrakes! BIG STEVE B CT STRENGTH WSL
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

Call or visit your local state police barracks they will tell you everything you need to know because there the ones enforcing it in your state. A trooper will careless what someone on lawnsite said about the cdl law.

7. Duffster

from Midwest

There is no such thing as an "air brake endorsement". Nor do air brakes require a CDL.

8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

in VA we have an air brake restriction on CDL in that if you have a CDL you can be restricted to non air brake vehicles...

9. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry but in nj and pa there is a air brake endorsement and if you take a truck without them to the test you will have restriction "L" on your license meaning you have a cdl but you aren't allowed to drive a truck with air brakes. Like I said before call the state police they will tell you everything you need to know.

10. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe not where you life but there is here.
    One of our youth leaders was taking his physical for the CDL and they found his sugar levels were so high they rushed him to the E.R. He now wears a pump. He didn't even know it.