Do I need a commercial or residential mower?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by jaimew, Apr 7, 2010.

1. jaimew

jaimew LawnSite Member

Hi everyone. I'm in the market for a ZTR, and I think I've settled on a hustler fastrak 54 (maybe - I could be swayed ). But I'm not sure if I need a superduty or not.

I have about 5-6 acres to cut. I have a very mild slope (~5deg) by the house. Portions of the yard are rough in spots, but nothing too severe.

My big concern is getting a mower that will last. Will I get much more life out of a superduty? Should I consider something else?

Thanks for your input!
    jaime

2. dbear

dbear LawnSite Senior Member

jaimew, good day and welcome. Hopefully mohustler will be along shortly to better answer your question. He's a Hustler dealer that hangs out here from time to time, so he'd know the differences between those models better than probably anybody.

In his absence, let me say I'd be leaning toward the heavier-duty machine. Also, with that size yard, I'd be seriously looking at models with a 60" deck, but hey, that's just me. Just a couple of pennies from a former farmboy, and a son of an engineer...

3. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

There both kinda slow. I don't see much of a difference between the two besides the ROPS. Both have short rear tires and slow ground speed for mowing the size yard you have. What are the prices of the two machines from your dealer?

4. jaimew

jaimew LawnSite Member

60" Fast Track SuperDuty - 6300
    54" Fast Track Super Duty - 6100
    54" Fast Track - 5400

I think I'm leaning torwards the 60".

jaime

5. unkownfl

For 6300 you could buy a full commercial machine with a different brand.

6. jaimew

jaimew LawnSite Member

Really, any suggestions?

Thanks!
    jaime

7. unkownfl

Toro, Gravely, Snapper Pro, Cub cadet, Scag they may only have a 52"-54" deck in that price range, however its not that much of a time difference.

8. WH401

WH401 LawnSite Senior Member

With that amount of acreage I would definitely get a commercial mower. Plus as mentioned, for $6300 you can get a pretty decent commercial mower. Any of the brands mentioned above would be good choices. If you can I would get at least a 60" deck, but a 54" or 52" will be fine too. Cutting width isn't going to matter much if the mower can't stand up to the cutting you'll be needing it for.

9. eatonpcat

eatonpcat LawnSite Bronze Member

Let's see a picture of the property... Is it all finish mowing or just field???
    What I'm getting at is maybe you should look into a compact tractor.

10. jaimew

jaimew LawnSite Member

Well, I dont have a picture handy, but I grabbed this aerial view shot from bing.

I really don't want a tractor. I already have a 1958 jd 420 with a 5 ft clipper. It's just slow. That stuff out in front isn't really a "yard". The grass is more like a pasture. And the clipper bogs down in there from time to time

I hate cutting grass and want to limit the amount of time I spend doing it, but I'm a cheapskate. That doesnt mean I dont want to spend money. I just want to spend as little as possible!

[​IMG]

Thanks for your input!
    jw