Do i need a filter????

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by UNCLE BOB, Feb 4, 2001.

1. UNCLE BOB

UNCLE BOB LawnSite Member

Do i need the small steel filter on the plug in the front of the lift cyl. base? Does it regulate hydro. pressure in anyway?E-47 of course.It's never dirty when i take it out,if thats all it's for I can fix it with out paying to have a new base put on it. thank's

2. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

Bearing in mind that I am not a hydraulics or Meyer expert, I don't believe the filter has anything to do with hydraulic pressure but I would be concerned about possible damage to the hydraulic circuit (in the event of anything going wrong within the system and sending metal fragments through the passages) if the filter was left out.

3. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

Same here... I'm not an expert. BUT... I would leave the filter in there. The one time you pull it out, and it's dirty, or has a big chunk of whatchmacallit in there, you'll be thankful you've got it.

-Tim

4. Majestic

Majestic LawnSite Member

I would not remove any filters at any time on anything,thats asking for trouble.Im pretty sure the fluid is filtered on its return side,which would not affect pressure.Im thinking your pump may be getting weak.They really arent that expensive.Check with Mill Supply or Angelos for pump only,not the whole unit.Make sure your motor is turning full RPM also for this would affect pump speed which would affect pressure.I have four E47s Im running ,one of them is slower than the other three but so far its still going strong.Good Luck

5. finnegan

finnegan LawnSite Member

bob, you might be able to find a new plug at the hardware store,or figure out a way to rethread a larger fitting, but keep the filter at all cost...

6. UNCLE BOB

UNCLE BOB LawnSite Member

Thanks guys,I think I will try tapping the hole and inserting the filter in a hole I will drill in the new boltw/press.Before I pay to have the new base I ordered from Angelos installed.It may work and be a whole lot cheaper. Let me know if you think it will work , please

7. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

Uncle Bob, in your post you mentioned drilling out the new bolt to accept the filter. I was just wondering if you meant "plug" when you wrote "bolt", due to the threads on a bolt being different from the tapered pipe threads on a plug. I think your idea will work as long as you're careful to set everything up good and square when you drill the hole.