do i need a hitch to pull a trailer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Jan 8, 2004.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

got a question maybe you all can answer? i'm getting a trailer in the next month, i was wondering if i need a hitch to pull a trailer, or would the little ball work? i have a 2wd ford ranger with a 4cylinder. thanks for all your answers.

lawn wizards:)

2. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

how big of a trailer? what size ball is on the truck? what size ball does your trailer need?

3. lawnwizards

man, those are questions i've never even thought about. i do know the trailer is a 6x13. i don't have a ball yet. i don't know what size it should take. would it be in the owners manual?

4. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

it will probally be a 2" but don't take my word for it. Umm are you puting the ball on the back of your bumper in the hole? I don't know if that is a good idea pending upon how much weight is going to be in the trailer. I would just buy this hitch.

Before doing all that, what are you putting in this trailer? Is you 4 cyl. going to be able to pull it? Can you go up hills with the trailer behind the truck?

5. It's not just how big a trailer; it's how much weight are you pulling. I'm assuming when you say, "would the little ball work?", you mean putting a ball on the rear bumper. I don't think that will pull much but I am sure you need to know. If it's not in the manual try asking at a U-Haul place or someplace like that.

6. lawnwizards

well, right now all i have is 3 lawnboys, my echo trimmer and blower and some gas cans. looking to add a walk behind this spring maybe a something like a 42" if they even make them that size. i dont know how much a walk behind weighs.

7. lawnwizards

i meant 2 lawnboys

8. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Most likely a 6' x 13' trailer will have a 2" hitch. Check your rear bumper to be sure it is securely fastened with four bolts to frame of truck. If yes, then you should be OK to put 2" ball on your bumper providing you dont overload your trailer (1500lbs to 2000lbs). After you get the trailer, your tongue may or may not be to high (you want your trailer to be fairly level). Then if the front of trailer sits too high, you may decide to put a hitch on as you can raise or lower ball depending on hitch you use.

9. satxmow

satxmow LawnSite Member
    from tx

right now i have a 2wd 3 cyl ranger and pulling a 5x12 trail. my trailer is not a landscape trailer so its just an open trailer and i really do not have any problems. i know eventually i do want to get a bigger truck but i am just starting off and the ranger has held its own. if you wondering what i pull, look below.

10. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

You better take a good look at your bumper and it's capacity. If it is a factory bumper you should be able to find the specs in the owners manual, or consult the manufacturer. Even if the bumper is directly attached to the frame with four 1/4" supports the bumper itself may not be able to handle the weight. I have a ball mounted on my 1/4" steel bumper with four 1/4" mounts, and still had to have it reinforced due to the weight bending the bumper. Thank you for posting your questions and concerns. It's far too often that we forget that being a responsable business owner also includes an obligation to protect the public.