1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do I need a Hydro???????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chrisk, May 12, 2002.

1. chrisk

chrisk LawnSite Member

I am just starting out and am looking to get a 48inch walk behind.
    I've looked at scag, and exmark.
    All of my yards so far are between 1/8th acre - 1/4acre.
    All yards are flat. I will be mulching.
    Do I need a Hydro to start or can I wait till next summer to get one.
    I do 6 yards now with a 21inch push mower.
    I'm just looking to save some money while trying to add more customers.
    Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!
  2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

you can go either way. if you have the money, i say buy it now. if you don't, a gear drive will be just fine. however, if you buy one now, you will be spending more money to just buy another one next year if you get a hydro then.

hydro's are nice and can cut in all conditions, but those pumps aren't cheap. like everything, they have good and bad points.
  3. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

The smaller the WB, the less you need a Hydro.

A 48" can go either way, although I'd always lean towards a Hydro.

I would recommend buying a peice of equipment that you can build your operation with for the long term.
  4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

if you can afford it get a hydro. My first mower was a 48 inch scag belt drive, and i will never buy a belt drive again. The hydros are so nice to operate, and i love how you can back up by just squeezing the trigger. the reverse on belts is almost useless.
  5. I agree with mbd landscapeing
    if you can afford it go hydro ,they are more productive and no belts to slipp in wet condidtions.
    To me the hydro's are worth the extra you get better reverse with a hydro just squeze the pistol grips in and it instanting backs up .To me hydros are less tiresome to operate then belt drives when you are behind one 12 hours a day.
    Like another poster said though belt drives would do well on the size properties you are mowing but when you start growing a hydro would be a more productive machine.
    Hydro cons are when something does wrong with the wheel motors or pumps it can be expensive if the warrenty is over.
  6. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I agree with the other guys too...go ahead and get a hydro drive if it fits your budget. You will find it to be more productive than the belt driven equipment and it is definately a better economical route to take for the 'long haul'.

Good luck! :)
  7. wxmn6

wxmn6 LawnSite Member

I bought a John Deere hydro this year and wow, what a difference! It is much faster and better than the belt driven. Without a doubt it greatly increases my productivity. I get the job done faster and it gives me more time to take more accounts. I would never go back to belt driven.

If you can fit in your budget, get the hydro.
  8. wesLESCO48

wesLESCO48 LawnSite Member

My opinion would be that you should take on as many
    accounts as you can with your 21'' mower. That is
    if it's a commercial and can stand the abuse. Then
    when you need a larger mower to increase your
    accounts get a hydro walk behind. Hydro walks
    are the only ones i have experience with so my opinion
    is biased. I can tell you they are around $1500 more
    for their convenience, so try both.
  9. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

IF you have the money get a hydro- I dont think many LCOs are using the belts drives any more WHY hydos will make you more.
  10. lamblawnscaping

lamblawnscaping LawnSite Member

I would think about a used hydro before a new belt drive. I bought a hydro 48 off ebay last year for 1700, and apart from the cut not being as good as my exmark's, I haven't had any problems. Last week there was a john deere hydro 48 with a little over 100 hours for 1900. Keep looking and you will find something good.