do i need a license in michigan for fertilizing

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by sprinklerhead, Nov 28, 2005.

1. sprinklerhead

sprinklerhead LawnSite Member
    from MI.

I have a ????? We are looking to expand an get into lawn fertilizing. But we have been trying to get info even from the state of mi . I want to know if you have to be licensed? and if you do how do i do it? thanks

2. goodgreen

goodgreen LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, you do need a license and it's not an easy process. You have to take a core manual test that's very intensive. Then you need a seperate manual test for your area of expertise (like Turf Management). I passed the first big test but they had not told me about the secondary test. So I took that without reading the manual and flunked. Now because so much time has gone by, I have to take them both again. Cost is aboout $75 and you have to have insurance.

3. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

you need a license to apply anything with a pesticide in it, straight fert dosen't require a license. Herbicides, Pesticides or Fugicides require a license, even Weed & feed, grub x or any other mix. Registation for testing and for certification and recerts is being done now. testing is in december.
    you need to pass the core test section A then you need the sub test for turf pest management. cost is 75.00 books are availible online at
    https://web2.msue.msu.edu/Bulletins/intro.cfm
    here's the dept. of ag. site you need.
    http://www.michigan.gov/mda/0,1607,7-125-1569_16988_35289---,00.html

4. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

here's the publication #s you need from msu, E 2195 & E2327, this cost a total of 15 bucks plus shipping. call your county extentsion office for test dates and times. You are way late to be preparing for these test for this year.
    that would require some real hard studying to be prepared.

5. sprinklerhead

sprinklerhead LawnSite Member
    from MI.

hey thanks i got a reply back from the gov

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Also, after certification, you need two years experience working experience applying pesticides or work in a related field as deemable by the MDOA (Mich. Dept. Of Agriculture). This, or a four year (Bachelor)degree in turf management or an agricultural related field. It's kind of goofy here in Michigan. There are ways around it, though. you can hire a licensed applicator and obtain a business license that way.