Do I need a license??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnshark, Apr 7, 2001.

1. Lawnshark

Lawnshark LawnSite Member

I have a buddy who said I had to be certified to spread weed'n feed. I know you have to be licensed to spray, but do you have to be licensed to spread granuale post-em's? i really need to know before I do it and get in trouble.

2. jimsmowin

jimsmowin LawnSite Member

here in pa. you do need a license for weed and feed. however fertilizer only does not. one can generally get away with granular weed and feed. I would not push my luck past this point.

3. champion

champion LawnSite Member

check with your state laws on pesticides but any thing with a active ingredient in it and if you are doing it for hire you would need to get a license. so for the spelling.

4. when i took my pesticides course they said that you can put down like milorganite, or turf builder. or something that just feeds. however the minute that you get into something to kill a pest, pest meaning: insect / weed / disease. then you need a pesticide liscence.

5. sam c

sam c LawnSite Member

Yes Here in MA. and NH. you need a comm. pesticide applicator permit to apply ANY type of pesticide or herbicide if you are being paid to do so. If you are caught doing so without one in NH. they fine you and publish your name and fine in a weekly ag. bulletin for all to see!

6. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Jim,
    Here in PA we (landscapers for profit) need an applicators license to put down Round Up if we're getting paid. And, if it is on a commercial property, it has to be 'Industrial Weeds' in addition to 'Lawn & Turf'. And, if you happen to be applying it alongside a roadway of any kind, it has to be in 'Right of Way' weed control.

We have a Dept of Ag Rep up here that prides himself in handing out fines......

7. turfguy33

turfguy33 LawnSite Member

In Kentucky, A liscense is not required for ANY granular, and A person can spray Round-up or Touchdown without an applicators loscense, everything else is required. I am getting into chemical fertilization, but only on small jobs so far, and only accounts that I do other services too like mowing and such, I like to be diverse, but I don't want to spread my self too thin.

8. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Yes here in NC. Check with Rich Davis(Davis TLC) he may know about TN law.

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

just dont get caught

10. R&RLandscaping

R&RLandscaping LawnSite Member

In Georgia by law if you are doing it for money you must have a applicator license, there are steep fines if you don't