Do I Need A License

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by blkbutterflyy, May 4, 2006.

1. blkbutterflyy

blkbutterflyy LawnSite Member

Hi, I am just starting a lawn mowing business. We are only doing this during the summer and are only mowing residential lawns. Nothing commercial. Just wondering. I don't think we need any permits or anything but I just wanna make sure.

2. blkbutterflyy

blkbutterflyy LawnSite Member

i guess this is a stupid question since no one is replying but i really wanna know. Please say something

3. tlwmsu

tlwmsu LawnSite Member

Since I'm not from Missouri, take this with a grain of salt. I think the answer to your question might be another question. "Do you want to be legit?" If you want to pocket tax free cash during the summer, hoping no government agency catches you, and don't care if some LCO's call you a "scrub", then I guess you won't need one.

Honestly, I don't know what state, county, or local laws apply to you, but do a Google search for "missouri business license" and start calling phone numbers that come up on those sites to try to get official information. :usflag:

4. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi,

Not a stupid question! I am in the same boat but for Ontario Canada. Im pretty sure all I need to do is register a business name, get a GST number and get business insurance. I did some searchs and could find nothing about licensing for LCO's. If anyone knows otherwise please let me know!

Cheers
    Jeff

5. sooner74

sooner74 LawnSite Member
    from UT

6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

In many cities you have to get a business license --doesn't matter whether you do residential or commercial--one yard or a 1000. Cost varies and there are fines for not having one.

7. A1A Lawn Care

A1A Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Its actually a simple answer in my opinion, Yes! GET A LISENCE! I dont mean to be rash, but its just worth it and you wont have a bad feeling in the back of your head.

8. NCSERVICE

NCSERVICE LawnSite Member

All i had to do is get a federal tax id#, and register my business name. however i have to get a privilege license to work in certain cities. the only other license they require is a pesticide license, if you spray for $$ you have to have it.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

There is one more thing, the trailer. Not to be funny but if you get a single-axle trailer you should be ok but if you get a double-axle one you might need a class-c commercial driver's license IF the gvwr of the trailer and the truck exceed 10,000 pounds (doesn't matter what is loaded, it's the rating). Depends on location but best check or just get a single axle one.

You probably also want to get a FIN or EIN, which is a federal tax ID number thou you can use your SSN for a bit.

10. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Check with your state, city, and county for license requirements.License requirements vary from state to state. Some villages around the surburban areas here require a home business permit, and some have screw ball regulations.A friend was running a daycare in a village in the south suburbs,and besides the state and other regulations, had to get a village license as well.The license required that she get so many of her neighbors signatures, so many feet on each side of her, and accoss the street.